Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

square tank hydro lift

gwiseman

Overhauled a square tank parker hannifan hydro lift earlier '08. Preparing to install on my early b10 and find the impeller shaft & driven gear dont want to turn when pump cover installed. After taking apart and messing with it I find if I tighten down the pump cover screws it seizes. Spread some locktite aircraft gasket maker on cover and let it set tonight hoping it will harden and give some space when I reinstall tomorrow evening. Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong here?

I can't "see" what you have but I can tell you how critical it is that the tolerances are correct for any hydraulic pump to work properly. You may have the gears in the wrong position, the body may be warped, you may not have the gaskets on the body shimmed properly. Or any combination of the mentioned.

Love them Photos in your profile Gene. What did you have to do to your trans? I had to split the one in my 2012 a few years ago to replace a broken axle.

quote:
Originally posted by jdwilson
Love them Photos in your profile Gene. What did you have to do to your trans? I had to split the one in my 2012 a few years ago to replace a broken axle.
Thanks. I replaced a broken axle tube w/one purchased from another member. Took me 4 tries to get transaxle together correctly and it was tight as well so I am a little spooked when I put the hydro lift together after overhaul and it wont turn. But, I dont know what it was like b/f I tore into it either.

OK, that helps a lot. Give me one more close up of the pump without the end plate on it directly in line with the gears. I want the light and picture to shine up into the "tunnels" of the pump around the gears. I also edited you post to spread things out a bit. After any letter charactors hit the enter bar to return the cursor to the next lower line. Also do this between pictures. It makes for easier viewing.

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
OK, that helps a lot. Give me one more close up of the pump without the end plate on it directly in line with the gears. I want the light and picture to shine up into the "tunnels" of the pump around the gears. I also edited you post to spread things out a bit. After any letter charactors hit the enter bar to return the cursor to the next lower line. Also do this between pictures. It makes for easier viewing.

Dave-I can get another if this doesnt show what is needed. Thanks

I need the camera a little more to the right. What I need to see is whitch passage way is the dead end and whitch one goes deeper into the body to flow the presurised oil to the valve. What I'm getting at is the pickup tube must be on the side of the gears that has the dead end. You may have the end plate on upside down.

Looking at the 1st, 3rd and 4th pic I think he has it right side up as the shape of the housing matches the plate the way it's installed. Is there suppose to be a gasket between the housing and the plate? Been a few years since I been in one and can't recall.

I agree Marty. I see the bolt access notches now. The only other tning I can think of or see is that the secoundary shaft and gear may be in backwards. Since the main shaft cannot be reversed, but the secoundary shaft is a dummy shaft and is driven by the primary shaft it can be reversed in most pumps.

This was an article by the 'daddycat" and "Pat Rarick" http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/portal_External.asp?LinkID=122&LinkName=Seal%20Replacement%20in%20Old,%20Self-Contained%20Hydraulic%20Lift%20System&CatID=13&CatTitle=Miscellaneous&URL=http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/articles/hydraulic_lift.htm

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
I agree Marty. I see the bolt access notches now. The only other thing I can think of or see is that the secondary shaft and gear may be in backwards. Since the main shaft cannot be reversed, but the secondary shaft is a dummy shaft and is driven by the primary shaft it can be reversed in most pumps.
Cleaned, reviewed thedaddycat's instr, measured & reversed driven shaft, double ck'd cover position. Still seizes when screws tightened. There is a very small tolerance that I am not getting correct on reassembly. Would a thin (brown) permatex gasket maker film after drying work you think? It just seems a small "shim" b/t gears & cover may be all that is needed for gears to move freely.