Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3112v and 990314 parts swap

automan_007

hello ,,,i'm new anyway i have a 3112v currently with tiller and dozer blade and i have a chance to pick up a earlier 990314 and was wondering do any of the parts swap over? are they the same frames?

There aren't enough similarities for it to be a good parts tractor... The front frame doesn't have holes for variable speed control and used different clutch/brake linkage. The steering gear and shaft are different, being the old round, cast iron type. The rear frame rails are 4" shorter. The tranny, though likely the same internally, doesn't have the variable speed pulley. The bevel gear box, because of the variable speed has a different shaft. The sheet metal is all different, as is the rear seat deck/fender mounting onto the rear frame. The engine would interchange, but I don't think you'd bee too happy replacing a 12HP with an earlier style 9HP. Sorry...

The good news is the 314 is a good model to have and good for getting in tight spaces(tight turn radius). The attachments will also cross over. sm03

My son bought a 314 (64 Landlord) for $52. After some work on it, it has become his primary lawn mower. He also has a blade and a trailer for it. Very strong tractor. You should get it and put it in service along with the 3112V.

When you ask about a bucket, do you mean a true front end loader or something like a Johnny Bucket? Johnny Bucket - type front scoops are commonly used and work well. There were both true factory-branded and aftermarket front end loaders available. The factory-branded loaders worked pretty well, though it has limited (350 lb) lift capability, and is best suited for moving loose material like mulch. They don't dig real well because of the lack of down pressure and the lightweight tractor spinning when trying to push the loader into the soil. Note that the loader, also, has damaged many tractors because of the inherent design weakness of how the bevel gear box mounts between the front and rear frame members on the tractor. Many people have experienced breakage here, if they use the loaders hard, and often have to use some method of reinforcing that area to both fix the breakage and prevent further damage. Similarly, when people weight the tractor down enough to max-out the lift capability with minimal rear tire spinning, they'll sometimes snap axle tubes or break the rear differential. Bottom line is that though loaders were available, and some lucky people have gotten their hands on them (or skilled people built them), these aren't really the best candidate garden tractors for using a front-end loader. Tractors such as a Cub Cadet, tube-frame Bolens, old Sears Suburban are actually better candidates, having a one-piece, full-lenth frame -- as much as that may sound like blasphemy here... With all that said, ANY garden tractor with a loader will NOT perform nearly as well as many modern sub-compact tractors such as a Kubota BX in regular, heavy work -- they're a totally different class of tractor, and were intended for homeowner use in hauling mulch or spreading topsoil, and not commercial or rental market use like newer subcompacts... As long as you know what your realistic expectations are, and don't expect too much from them, they work fine...

Here is a picture of a JohnnyBucket as Kent described that I mounted on a friend's 3410. The bucket was from a Cub Cadet, but I modified the mount to fit.

the bucket idea is more of a look what i have thing,,ha ha i do agree small size it would'nt lift all that much maybe i'll put the tiller on one and keep the blade on the other,who knows