Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Stud Front Tires

IronPony

My AC712 just does not turn in the snow. Has anyone ever tried studs in the front tires? How would you go about putting studs in them?? Any other suggestions about improving the turning would be greatly appriciated. Dan aka IronPony

Dan, I have tried plowing with turf tires, snow hog tires, and AG tires as my front tires; all slide. I can't say I noticed a difference between the snow hog tires and the AG tires. Both seem to slide the same amount. The turf tires slide the worst. I have used a 3416H and a 7012H for plowing, both were pushed around by the snow while plowing. For snow blowing, the tires are less of an issue. I don't know if it is technique, my terrain, or what; but I don't seem to have an issue with my 7118 and blower sliding while blowing snow. I have read (on this site) that weights for the front tires help and a few members use chains on the front. I would suggest chains before studding the tires. Only because chains you can remove at the end of the season. Rick.......

Thanks for the suggestion, Rick. I was thinking of getting a second set of front tires just to use in the winter. I would try weights but have not seen any that were close enough to pick up at a decent price. Oh well, I can still do the job it is just a little harder. Dan aka IronPony

You could start by loading them with fluid with chains, it would help a little. You can also stud the tires with sheet metal screws. Motorcycle Ice racers us carbide screws in their tires.

If you are sliding in snow, then the tri-ribs help that quite a bit. If you are on ice, then you need studs or chains. I would suggest trying the hex-head sheetmetal screws for ice, as Maynard suggested.