Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Simplicity85

Tow Tractor

goatfarmer
I use a snowblade hitch on the front of my 712H. No blade, just the hitch, with a long bolt sticking through the pivot hole. Pull up behind the dead one, lift the hitch so the bolt goes through the hole used to pull lawn carts, etc, and go. Pulled a few out of boneyards that way.:)

ZippoVarga
BiggieRat has a "tow truck" that he uses for dead tractors and it has a front lift similar to Kennys and an old lift rod that's been slightly altered and put into the rear sleeve hitch. Having both options to move from the front or rear of the "tow vehicle" is a good way to go about dedicating one for this. Later Bro!!!

ZippoVarga
I made a hitch and receiver to tow my trailer around with and I use it on my old LL with hydro lift to move things around. I think I'll use a front hitch with a pin like Kennys the next time. It's a lot easier to steer something into a tight spot if it's on the front as opposed to the back of the tow vehicle. IMO and with my past experience. Hey Jim..That looks just like a tow truck set up! Cool! What are those weights you have tucked into your back rims?

goatfarmer
It would take a hydrolift! I tried using the electric lift on my 712 to make a sling from the rear. Ended up blowing the fuse..... But it works fine on the front. I'll have to dig it out of the snow, and get a picture.

perry
i just use some basic bike front forks that i pulled off a honda spree. it fits in the tube perfect. just have to becarefull the tractor your towing does'nt get snagged on anything or the tow tractor frontend will come up on ya :O. i like the wheel lift ideas 8D. [IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/awards013.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/awards014.jpg[/IMG] works good for implements also. [IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/woodcut007.jpg[/IMG]

JimDk
Sean, Those are homemade weights in deep center rims. My son works at a shop where they do heavy machining. Those weights were scrap cut-offs from a big shaft. They weigh 40/50# each, and are a bugger to install. Many pinched fingers. 8C8C I wanted a solid link between the tow and dead tractor. I used a couple of attaching pieces from a junk deck and some flat bar that I had laying around. I hooks to the mower attaching holes on the towed tractor,so only works with our old A/Cs and Simplicitys. It would need to be longer for newer tractors with extended frame and hood. Jim