Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
JordB110

Runnning without muffler

JordB110
The threads on my B-112 are pretty much shot where the muffler screws in so I'll probably just run a straight pipe out the side of the engine. Will this hurt anything(besides the neighbors ears), I have earmuffs. :o) The reason that I am asking is because there will be a lack of back-pressure. Will I need to make any carb adjustments? Thanks,Jordan

Al
Hi, Years ago they used to say this was a problem with no pipe, but with a little pipe any air that gets to the valves right after shut off is warm anyway. It is no longer considered damaging. My only caution is your hearing, I ran a 16 2 days with about a 14 inch vertical straight pipe. It sounded mean and I liked the bark. Two days, I damaged my hearing a lot and it has never come back. That was in the late 60s. Good luck, Al

ka9bxg
simply turn a short pipe into the block with a small can muffler on it and make a simple bracket to the grill and weld it to the pipe you should have some threads in there and if not try running a tap in the hole The noise comming out of that engine is way to loud for me even a small muffler will help some.Bob

SimpleMan
I would never run a straight pipe, the loss of hearing the occurs is too great, I have found out the hard way,..., I ran a International 100 hydro tractor that had a turbo with no cab, pulled a wagon with it a few days a week for a month for harvest time, I did this for 2 years, in school we have hearing tests and I have lost a considerable amount of hearing already, I also ran a straight pipe on my B-112 when I had to mow the grass, the muffler fell off and even with earplugs, I still couldn't take the noise, I am 15 and one of my teachers who is 60 years old has more hearing left than I do, not a good thing, PLEASE do your self a favor, DO NOT RUN A STRIGHT PIPE! Hearing is a good sense to have, and I would like to have mine whn I am old. Thank you, and have a nice day,-BradW