Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7117 Repowering from KT17s to M-18

SharkyEd

Hello, I was wandering if anyone could tell me what i would have to do to change a 7117H with a bad KT-17s to a M-18, will the wiring be the same and will it plug right in to existing wiring harness on the tractor ? I have a chance to buy a magnum 18 and they look the same to me, Will it work ? Thanks for your input. Ed

I believe that the magnum uses magneto`s and your KT-17 is a battery ignition. I also believe that you would have to change your ignition switch. I think that you can get a adaptor from Al Eden to plug into your exsisting harness and just change the switch.

As Ray said the KT uses a battery ignition - 12volts from battery passes through the ignition switch to provide 12 volts to coil. The magnum is electronic ignition - there is a wire that goes to the ignition switch...with the switch off this wire is grounded. DO NOT put 12 volts to this wire...you will burn out the electronic ignition.

I've done this. I don't think you even need an adapter to the connectors, but you DO need a different (magneto style) ignition switch. Whether you need an adapter for the cable connection probably depends on what the engine came off of. There's a two conductor connector, one side to the kill switch (+12V to run on the KT17, but grounded for off on an M18) and the other conductor is output from your generator/regulator. On mine it was just plug and go, making it real easy to kill the ignition module wi-th 12V instead of ground. I didn't, but only because these guys warned me. -Don

Ronald Hribar
You can switch the wires around on the ignition switch to accomplish the same thing. The plug wires can be pulled out to be put in a different position.

Thanks everyone for the info, The ignition was one of the things i was worrying about so you guys answered that. The adaptor that RayS mentioned sounds like it might be worth a try. Thanks again everyone, Sharkyed.