Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

RBT

ZippoVarga

I never thought I would see the day when I would have an RBT. But I couldn't pass this deal up. Got a 3416H and a 310 with a Briggs iron re-power for less than the gas it cost to drive 155 miles. I got the old 16hp running very well today and now I'm up against a wall with the Hydro. It's a Vickers and I know nothing about it. Can some of you with experience on these hydros give me a few pointers as to what I need to do before I put oil in it and power to it? Also, What kind of oil does it use? I could go look that up I suppose....but any how....I'm anxious to hop on it and see what the attraction is with them. Although, I doubt I'll convert to RBTs...lol. Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Dextron 2 oil, check to make sure all of the hoses are in good shape,take the top off of the reservoir and check the filter (there should be a flat washer and spring to hold it down). Fill the reservoir up to the level of the plastic plug on the side. Start it up and see how it works. If the hydro is a good one take it and the 16HP off of that RBT and build yourself a round hood hydro....:DdOd

That's the plan Mike...Ugly-Alice (Early B-10) will get the hydro and my old Landlord will get the 16hp to replace the tired 23D. Thanks for the info on what to do. I'm anxious to see if the hydro is good. Are the Vickers a better Hydro than the Sunstrands? Or is it the other way around?

i use my RBT to battle threw the woods, its a tank. not a bad tractor but mine has reverse promblems i yet to get figured out. FDT's forever! ^.

Sean I'm ashamed of you! I expected an RBT in some of the other members' garages, but never yours! I'm just kidding, that 310 looks pretty nice, I like the 300 and 400 series AC machines. The 3416H don't look too bad either. The price sounds too good to pass up, nice score buddy!dOd

Hey Korey....Quite a collection of Autos. And for a such a young man to have such a collection is impressive. I would love to see pictures of them. In here you will find that there is a certain number of us who are FDT guys and those of us who love the RBTs. It has been an on going nudge match since way before I became a member. The same with The Kohler (toilet) guys and us Fine Briggs & Stratton guys. Personal preference! Kinda like Fords and Chevys. There will always be a playful rivalry between brands and styles. But we all know that the FDTs are the best because they have the best Briggs and Stratton engines. We just let all the others think theirs are better....lol.

mendon-chalmers
I have both, don't like hearing the whingeing of the sunstrand or the offset of the hydro lever when moving back & forth from F N R . Vickers I don't have much experience time with but reverse is awful slow when blowing snow one way at 300 ft. Look at the pintle shafts ( the 2 shafts where the direction linkage hooks to) they will leak very common & fix it, when I got mine I got whole butt end & changed mine to hydro but leaked just sitting there for 3 months waiting on warmer weather. FDT are more comfortable to ride for hour + straight.

3415HSovereign
quote:
Originally posted by ZippoVarga
Hey Korey....Quite a collection of Autos. And for a such a young man to have such a collection is impressive. I would love to see pictures of them. In here you will find that there is a certain number of us who are FDT guys and those of us who love the RBTs. It has been an on going nudge match since way before I became a member. The same with The Kohler (toilet) guys and us Fine Briggs & Stratton guys. Personal preference! Kinda like Fords and Chevys. There will always be a playful rivalry between brands and styles. But we all know that the FDTs are the best because they have the best Briggs and Stratton engines. We just let all the others think theirs are better....lol.
I like both FDT & RBT tractors i would love to find me a FDT.The Typhoon isn't mine its my moms. heres are some pics of the cars http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/nn105/NCTyphoonKid/

The Vickers Hydro LIVES! Thanks Mike! Ugly-Alice will be happy to receive the tranny and the old LL is eagerly awaiting the 16hp Briggs.

quote:
Originally posted by ZippoVarga
The Vickers Hydro LIVES! Thanks Mike! Ugly-Alice will be happy to receive the tranny and the old LL is eagerly awaiting the 16hp Briggs.
It'll be interesting to see you put the Vickers in what was originally a short wheelbase tractor... Should call for some interesting modifications. :D

quote:
Originally posted by Kent It'll be interesting to see you put the Vickers in what was originally a short wheelbase tractor... Should call for some interesting modifications.
Can't you just use the side plates from the Vickers donor tractor? Of course it wouldn't be a short wheel base anymore. I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my B-110, some early measurements indicate you need the extra side plate length so the reservoir/filter unit will have enough clearance from the BGB. Guess you could relocate it somewhere else. But that seems like a bunch of work for 4" of wheelbase. But maybe a B-10 is much different from my B-110 and I'm way off base here.

Sean I've had both sunstrand and vickers hydro's. My preference is for the vickers due to their ability to be a tad more sensitive to lever position, however they are prone to the dreaded pintle shaft leak issue. Sunstrand always felt like it needed to be a lot further forward to make it go. Someday I'll come up with either a 3212h or an hb212 but for now I'll have to make do with the 3212v!

Kent, Ugly-Alice already has her name, so I'm not concerned with asthetics. The uglier the better. I will do what I can to work out all the details before I tear into the project, but we all know...there's something that will be overlooked that will add to the ingenuity of the creator. As it stands right now, the plan is bearly on the paper, having just gotten the Hydro up and operational last night. And....adding that 4 inches will allow the use of a 48 inch deck. I have the longer sleeve hitch rod for rear implements and plenty of spare stock to fab up just about any type of linkage configuration I may need to make things work. We'll see....Should be interesting. I need a challenge to help keep the mental juices flowing.

I have a 416H with the vickers, It doesn't really leak much if any. I like it much better than the sunstrand but putting new hoses on it was kind of a pain. It freewheels much better than a sunstrand.

Well....The Axle on the Vickers is locked to posi. I'm hoping it's in the differential. The left hub is welded to the axle shaft. Not sure if this is stock or not, as I haven't investigated the manual on it yet. It sure does awesome doughnuts in the snow though!!!! Of which we just got another 7 inches last night to go play in and more falling at a rate of 1/2 to an inch an hour. It's not expected to let up until after noon.

The left hand hub is welded to the axle shaft on the RBT`s with the vickers hydro. The FDT had a removeable left hub on the axle shaft for the vickers hydro.

Ray, I was hoping that was the case. I am able to move each wheel independent of the other, but it's very slight, so I am fairly certain that it's the differential that needs attention. Thanks for posting the view of the rear end for me. Saved me a short trip to get the PDF file right now. Mike, this one goes in reverse and will climb anything, as well as haulin tail in full forward. I'm looking forward to getting it on Ugly-Alice.