Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

deck questions

dav

time to fix or junk the pile of 42 inch mower decks. one of the decks is solid except for where the arbors mount. the bolt holes are ripped out. looks like maybe the three bolts to hold the arbor on came loose. another deck has already been repaired, presumably because of the same problem. the outer arbor mounts have been beefed up with a new ring welded in and 6 bolt arbors have been installed-the mid arbor is still the 3 bolt one. two other decks have the 3 bolt arbors. these decks appear idenitcal. only one has a tag, 2025033 one other deck is a 1690252. it looks like it will fit(and the 'what fits' pages says it will)although it doesnt look like the others. it has all 6 bolt arbors. was the 3 bolt system known for failure? is the weld on ring with the mounting holes a dealer repair item or a custom made part? comments appreciated

tried to put pics with this post but i;m back to fighting with easyshare. two of the decks have some kind of belt guide sticking up from the covers over the belt. is this for use on a vertical shaft engine?

just went out and checked. i think you are right. the rods seem to fit right behind the footrests on the tractor, making a step or rest. the paint is worn further outboard where feet have been so i thought that was the natural place to put your feet when mowing. the decks without the rods have no skid material where you put your feet.

this is what i thought might be a belt guide

now that i have the pic(thanks once again to my teenager) can someone confirm that this is a foot rest?