Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Some General Hydraulic Questions

I was wondering if someone could answer these questions I have about Hydraulics: 1) What was the GPM for the old stock hydro pumps? 2) Are there any specifics for a hydro reservoir tank? Or any plastic/pvc tank ok? I think thats it for now, thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by mortation
I was wondering if someone could answer these questions I have about Hydraulics: 1) What was the GPM for the old stock hydro pumps?
On the FDTs it was 2GPM -- see this link: http://www.simpletractors.com/attachments/hydraulic_lift.htm
quote:
2) Are there any specifics for a hydro reservoir tank? Or any plastic/pvc tank ok?
Metal is certainly the preferred option. Hydraulic systems will often generate temps in the 140 - 160 degree F range (perhaps more under heavy use), so a plastic or pvc tank would tend to warp or deform. Plus, plastic doesn't radiate heat as well as metal, adding to the heat buildup. Whatever type of tank, you need a cap that will vent, or a tank that has a venting system built in.