Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Contradicting Information on Made When/Catalog

ZippoVarga

Badmoon and my self were on the phone for about an hour trying to get a definitive year that some of our tractors were manufactured and sold. What we discovered was that between the "Made When" Section on the home page and the Simplicity "New In" catalogs found under the Simplicity tab then "New In" also on the home page, there were two anomalies that we found. 1. A.990314/Landlord in "Made When" offered in 1963-64. B.990314/Landlord in "New In" offered in 1964 only. 2. A.3212V/H in "Made When" offered in 1969. B.3212V/H in "New In" offered in 1970. These are the only two examples that we discovered because they are the only ones that relate to our tractor models. It appears that the end of the 725/B-1/Squire models was in 1963 on the "New In" catalog. So it stands to reason that there had to be either a mid year (1963) model change (same for the 3212V), or that there is an error in the mix. Can any one shed some definite light on which is correct? Thanks in advance guys. This one has Badmoon and I saying..."Hmmmm!?!"

1. Date your tractor by dating the engine -- that's the most accurate -- if it has the original engine. 2. Simplicity did not really use "model years" the way you think of cars, for example. They changed models when the new model was ready to go to market, it seems. They produced marketing material that described the new models. 3. The stock of tractors in the plant, with distributors and dealers could be quite old. Look at the Allis B-Series price lists, for example, and you can see that Allis dealers in 1967 could order a new B-112 (3012 equivalent), B-110 (2110 equivalent), B-12 (2012 eguivalent), B-10 (2010 equivalent) or Big Ten (Landlord 101)... that's three completely different model lines of tractors -- and all could still be ordered new at the same time.

The document I sent Kent years ago was a Simplicity service supplement and he just copied over printed information. Another later TP bulletin shows the 990314 as a 1964 MY tractor and 3212 a MY 1970 tractor. Simplicity hasn't information as to when what S/N tractor came off the line that is readily available. And if you want play on words, current MY machinery is generally built the latter part of the year prior and into the spring of the current CY so in a sense both bulletins could be correct. No different then buying a car.

Thanks Bob and Kent. I had thought of the serial numbers on the tractor as possibly helping to define a year. Both of my Landlords have always been refered to as 1964s and my early B-10s as well. I understand the model year concept perfectly and that's what Badmoon and I talked about before I made the post. We'll just stick with what the combined years show and call it good. Again, thanks Bob and thanks Kent.

For 25 years I thought my 2012 was a '66. I'm pretty sure the Simplicity dealer told me. It wasn't until I joined this club in 2002 that I found that it was in fact a '67.

To zero in on the build date, if you add about 30 to 45 days to the date code of the Briggs engine, stamped on the blower housing for the six digit models , you would get an approximate build time of your tractor. When Kent and I were at Port Washington a few years ago, I was kind of asking a general question about inventory rollover in their manufacturing process and the answer was 30-45 days. That is a close as I can zero it in. The older engines, alpha-numeric, have their numbers stamped on a plate, attached to the air shield. Information is available on different web sites and only goes by monthly output.

Good information to have Bob, Thanks! There is a Yahoo Briggs group that I am a member of and those guys are great at dating these engines to within 30 days in most cases, as you stated.

If a tractor was held over from one year to the next it was sold as the later years model. This could be where some of the confusion come from.