Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Orange Paint/ Off White Paint

Auto_Guy

I took my deck apart last week. Ive got the deck stripped down with its first coat of paint. WOW it does look good BUT The allis chalmers orange i bought from tractor supply is ALOT brighter than whats on the rider now. Im ok with it. But was there a differant orange i should have used. Pics coming later today hopefully with a finished product. Also where can i get the off white paint for the hood? Tractor supply has some but it doesnt look the correct shade.

Some guys are very fussy about a perfect match but I am not a perfectionist when it comes to an exact match. I have used Orange Ace on many of my tractors and find it to be a very close match on the early Sinplicity tractors.It has the wide spray nozzle and dries to the touch in minutes however the black gloss from Ace some times takes days to dry.Over time the Ace Orange will also dry extremely hard.

It depends on your year. There are six variations of Orange used and three shades of cream/white. The pre-1977 colors are not available from the dealer or other places. They must be custom mixed. The 1977 and newer are available from the dealer. The common AC Orange that stores sell is usually a match to the Powder Orange used from 7/1/88 thru 8/1/89. Hope this helps. For Products Built from 1929 through 1960 "Persian Orange" (Usually called Persian Orange#1) --PPG DAR60080 --Martin Senour 99L-3723 --TISCO TP280 --DuPont DULUX 008DH "Cream" --Paint Codes Unknown For Products Built from 1961 through 1976 "Persian Orange" (Usually called Persian Orange#2) --PPG DAR60396 --DuPont 29047 "Allis Chalmers Cream" --DuPont 29049 --TISCO TP270 The following are still available from Simplicity. I have listed the Simplicity Quart part numbers: For 1977 thru Early Model Year 1985 Products "Simplicity Orange 1685037 "White" 1685032 For Products Built 12/1/85 thru 7/1/88. "Classic Orange" 1685560 "White" 1685032 For Products Built 7/1/88 thru 8/1/89. "Powder Orange" 1685591 "White" 1685032 For Products Built After 8/1/89. "Deep Orange" 1685612 "White" 1685032 They can't make it easy for us, can they???

There are several shades of orange used from allis that fall under the "allis orange" designation. Simplicity orange is similar but not exact. I have found the closest generic match(not ghastly expensive) is Plastikote Chevy engine Orange. It sprays nice and glosses well. If you want a bit more durable but have a spray gun, True Value XO rust is color-matchable if you take a piece to the store. Usually $28 a gallon.

midnightpumpkin
I'm with Vinnie, that exact match is not important to me. Rustoleum Antique White looks nice for the "white" parts. Here is our B-210 painted in Rustolum Sunburst Yellow and Antique White.
[img]http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL578/3246133/19205526/326614668.jpg[/img]
Here is out 2110 with the plow and hood painted rustoleum Orange.
[img]http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL578/3246133/19271602/345469754.jpg[/img]
An old saying I picked up which I think applies here is: "Few would notice and even fewer would care" John U

The deck is done. Now all thats left to do is all the parts to clean, paint and install. now now i know its a simp site but i scored a free yes FREE craf@#$)_# snow blade. Can you say WOOOHOOO!!! Edit Non paying users are not allowed to post or link personel pictures

OrangeMetalGuy
Auto Guy - did you use the Allis Chalmers Orange from Tractor Supply Company? That deck looks super sharp. How was the paint re: runs, quickness to dry, etc.?

quote:
Originally posted by OrangeMetalGuy
Auto Guy - did you use the Allis Chalmers Orange from Tractor Supply Company? That deck looks super sharp. How was the paint re: runs, quickness to dry, etc.?
Yes its the allis chalmers orange (valspar) from tractor supply. Thanks for the compliment....The paint sprayed on really nice, no runs or anything. It dried nice to. I have a wood stove in my garage, most the time i was painting i had it about 70 in there. Now i will tell you, get some good primer like rustoleum (professional) primer. I used some walmart brand and it wasnt very smooth. So i sanded it back down and went with the above mentioned primer. The rustoleum primer acted like a high build primer. I had some scrapes in the metal on the side of the deck now they are gone with that primer. I also used this same paint on the engine bay of my 67 Chevy truck. I also turned out really good.

Valspar makes a good hardener for their enamels too. I have been using it with the True Value enamel for a while and it makes a world of difference on the drying time. Big note though, when you put it in the mix, be sure to give it the allotted 30-40 mins before spraying or else it will not be effective(chemical processes have to start).

quote:
Originally posted by dentwizz
Valspar makes a good hardener for their enamels too. I have been using it with the True Value enamel for a while and it makes a world of difference on the drying time. Big note though, when you put it in the mix, be sure to give it the allotted 30-40 mins before spraying or else it will not be effective(chemical processes have to start).
Your talking about the paint in the quarts that you spray from a gun. Yes the hardner workes GREAT. I was going to shoot from a gun but my compressor decided to take a crap right as i was starting this project. I just sprayed from a can. It works just fine. When it turns spring/summer i will let the mower sit outside to help bake the paint better. i sprayed the roof of my 67 white and let it set outside. WOW the paint is ROCK hard now. That was with rustoleum in the quarts. I tell ya prep work is EVERYTHING. It really shows with the mower deck.

I know powder orange was used on the Allis Garden tractors starting in 1974 (710,712,716). Deep orange was used on the simplicities for sure in 1974 (3400 series). The 3300 series of 1973 looks like deep orange also.