Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Anybody use POR-15 on wheels?

OrangeMetalGuy

OrangeMetalGuy
I like the POR-15 product, and I'm wondering how well it would work on wheels. I'm sure it'll protect them, but as it's brushed-on would it self-level enough to end up with a smooth (i.e., brushmark-free) finish ready for a topcoat?

I have never used por-15, are you talking about their frame paint? I have used rattle can engine enamel for many motorcycles with real good results both in look, feel, and durability.

quote:
Originally posted by OrangeMetalGuy
I like the POR-15 product, and I'm wondering how well it would work on wheels. I'm sure it'll protect them, but as it's brushed-on would it self-level enough to end up with a smooth (i.e., brushmark-free) finish ready for a topcoat?
Haven't tried the POR-15 either, but I did some brush touchup on my Power Trac with those sponge, disposable brushes. With a little bit of care on the overlap of the strokes, it came out just as smooth as if I'd sprayed it -- and a whole lot thicker coat... Sometimes I think about 95% of a rattle can is propellant and thinner, with only 5% being paint...

I used POR-15 on the under side of a mower housing. I painted the whole thing spindle housing and all. I ended up having to rebuild the spindle housings and had to use a hammer to remove them because the POR-15 held so tightly. I have used it on rusty metal with success. I'm not sure about the brush marks though. I think it will break down in the sun and it needs a top coat. jh

OrangeMetalGuy
Yeah, I know it needs a topcoat and plan to topcoat the wheels white gloss. But I am just wondering if it levels out to a smooth coating, which is what I need of course for wheels.

quote:
Originally posted by Kent Sometimes I think about 95% of a rattle can is propellant and thinner, with only 5% being paint...
I guess it depends on how its applied and dried. I do 3 - 5 coats of paint then 2 coats of clear. Let it fully cure for 7 days and you have one tough good looking finish. Has held up to gas spills, brake fluid, and oil.

If you are trying to cover up rust pitting, body putty works well on wheels. I have used it a couple times to make either rusted, or welded areas look like new. Haven't had any problems with the putty flaking off yet.

I use POR-15 alot.. Probably 25-30 gallons so far. The finish will all depend on what your substrate looks like. POR-15 is very thick, and will fill most light rusty pitting.. and self-level real well. IF you need to thin it- use Urethane Reducer ONLY! I have used it on (car) wheels, but not typically on the outer visible part. Just the insides and backside. The part that shows gets epoxy-primer and finish. I paint all my resto frames and suspension parts with it. Since you plan on topcoating with another color...Be SURE to at least spray a primer coat over the POR-15 within 24 hours. If you wait longer, the POR-15 will require scuffing to get anything to stick to it.
[img]http://www.ncsdc.com/TEMP/Frame.jpg[/img]
Ray

OrangeMetalGuy
Nice early 70's Chevy/GMC frame sm01 Yeah maybe I will just prime and paint the wheels. Might be a simpler solution for that application.