Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

throttle cable tool

dav

at the carb end of the throttle and choke cables is a double 90* bend. the cable is a rigid wire inside a spring housing. the cable on my Landlord is too long so i want to shorten it. cutting both the spring and wire is easy enough. is there a simple way to put new bends in the cable? someone mentioned in a post about finding the tool to bend it at a flea market. what is the name of the tool? who markets it? i am afraid that if i just try to bend the wire with pliars, i will wind up with sloppy bends or break the wire.

If you'll hold the wire inboard of the bend with one pair of pliars, the grip the wire outboard of the bend with another set of pliars, then slowly bend the 90 the wire wil be fine. Practice this on the piece you cut off first so you get it right before you bend the wire your going to use.

It is called a z bend and if you search the web for z bender you will find a few different ones. I have a simple one with just a slit in a piece of steel and I bought a plier type at the Colchester show this fall. Here is a link to the cheaper one at Tulsa engine warehouse http://tewarehouse.com/7-05935

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
I find using a pair of needlenose pliers works well. Needle nose vise grips are easier yet;
Thats what I used too but who can resist a nifty new tool for less than $4 :)

Architectdave
I use a vice and a chisel. Stick out about 1/2 inch and hammer it over to a nice sharp 90 then losen the vice move the wire up desired length and use the chisel to hammer the other 90. you have to move it near the edge for the second 90. then cut off the end to the desired length and you are done. Used to make these for my RC plane control cables :)

What about just one 90 degree bend, and a set collar on the end that goes through the hole? Could possibly get rid of some play that way.

Picture is the "Z" bender I made.

Is simply a piece of 1/16" thick steel with a hole slightly larger than the wire. Make the first 90 degree bend with pliers, put the bent end through the hole, clamp wire and piece with hole in the vise, bend the second 90 degree, and slide the metal piece off the wire. Quick and easy. Cost = zero. Only disadvantage is the cable must be off the tractor. Works for me.

I used electrician wire strippers and needl nose vice grips. Just use the hole in the strippers use to bend wire around receptacle screws, then hold that bend while you make the other.