Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snow Blower?

xenon172

We picked up this Cub 268 snow blower the other day which is a 1970s vintage machine. It looks similar to some Simplicity's that I have seen and I was wondering if there might have been a connection between Cub Cadet and Simplicity

The old Briggs 8 hp engines with the up draft carburators are thugh little engines.^ I had an old toro with that same motor.

Probably mid to late 70s. With briggs engines the code number will tell you the exact day the engine was made. a code number is usually 8 digets. the first 2 are the year , the second 2 numbers are the month and the next 2 are the day. the last 2 numbers are irrelivent, they are assembly line manufactueing plant numbers.

quote:
Originally posted by wilm169
I think the Cub was a HAHN machine
There would be a connection there as Allis Chalmers sold a few things built by Hahn. But surely AC wouldn't have wasted time with Hahn snow blowers with such good ones from Simplicity? I agree that I have seen something very similar with AC on it, maybe during the government step-in?

Simplicity and AC used inline impellers for a while, probably up to the late seventies. If the CUB unit splits in two between the traction unit and blower, it has a few looks like a Ariens.

Hahn built a lot of lawn and garden stuff for AC while AC and Simplicity were split. I have several walk behind tillers and push mowers, all branded AC and all built by Hahn. This early equipment from Hahn is VERY good well built stuff. NOTHING like it is built today. That said, I don't know if this is a Hahn based unit or not. But AC and Cub Cadet having anything to do with each other directly,,,:O:Y:Y

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
But AC and Cub Cadet having anything to do with each other directly,,,:O:Y:Y
If they did, I've never heard of it either...

I'm not exactly sure of the year since I haven't been able to read the numbers on the Briggs yet but best guess is 71-76 which puts in the AC - Simplicity Split time frame. It was an AC as I remember that looked like this rather than a Simplicity. I am 99.9% sure that it is not an Ariens so Hahn is probably what it is. Thanks for the answers on this. It does have the IH on it which might excite a Cub collector and be a good item to generate some cash for the tractor fund.

I had an AC Tracker 8 snowblower that looks kinda like that -- sold it to my neighbor who still uses it. As previously stated, I think it was made by Hahn.
[img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/Kent/tracker_front.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/Kent/tracker_left.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/Kent/tracker_right.jpg[/img]

Thanks for the photos Kent they help. I see subtle differences but many of the features are close enough to say that the Cub is probably a Hahn.