Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Cab Thought

Ted R. Williams

Ted R. Williams
This is just my thoughts on a Tractor Cab. It takes more imagination than skill.We all play with these old tractors, so we all have some skill. Most of us have a handful of basic tools- hammer,pry-bar,saws-all,drill,grinder,tape measure etc. etc. Not everyone has a welder. I bought an old well used 90amp. 120v , no name unit. I can't weld but if it passes a kick or hammer thump test I move on to the next joint. While your looking through the classifieds or roaming the yard sales or talking to friends and neighbors ask them also about any old bed frames they may have laying around. Yep-angle iron bed frames make for good cheap project stuff. I also used 1/8 in. tempered hardboard for all my hard panels. I covered mine with oilcloth( table cloth material) to keep the wet out. In a lot of fabric stores they sell clear plastic for your side curtains. I found that plexiglass works best on the front and rear. Take the time to drill and tap your holes. This makes replacement and repairs allot simpler. I don't know how much it weights but with my 200lbs. I've never needed wheel weights. Its high enough that my head doesn't hit the roof and it's no wider than my blower is. For summer use, just remove the 2 bolts from the rear corners of the doors and set them aside. The Cab is held to the tractor with 5 bolts. 2 in each running board and 1 in the rear hitch. I think if you built running boards into the Cab you could mount this on a FDT with as few as 3 bolts. As far as what you want on the Cab or in it, is up to your imagination. Most all of my ideas came from this Club and the Forms. I hope someone can benefit from this article as it took me quite awhile to type it with my 1 finger skill. How long did it take to build it? I'm still not finished !!

Very nice work! It looks like only one door will open since the other side has the lift rod running through the panel. I have been thinking about building another cab to fit my Powermax but didn't want it to be quite as involved as what my Sunstar cab was. Dan

I like the hole for the lift rod. Most people would have just hacked out a rectangle and called it good. I also like how its reinforced around the edges of the slot. Mighty fine job8D

Beautiful cab. ^ Your bed rail iron must be a lot softer than mine. Presently have a supply of bed rails that are harder than the hobs of Hades. Did you have any problems cutting and drilling the rails??

quote:
Originally posted by joshuaareed
I love it are you taking orders. Very nice craftsmanship.
:D while your at it, ill take one ;)......:p. nice job on the homemade cab.

Ted R. Williams
Both doors open on the cab. I removed the lift rod with the addition of my last mod. Roy your right, the bed iron is hard but cuts o-k with a chop-saw , after sharpening a drill bit over and over it seemed to drill better. I noticed that the tip angle was a lot flatter and seemed to cut better and last longer.

Thats a first rate job, you should not feel bad about that at all. I picked up a Simplicity just like that last year, it had a motor fire and the motor was just to burnt up. But the guy also sold me a nice Briggs 20hp opposed that fit with just a little squeezing on the muffler. My tractor friend also had a John Deere 200 or 300 series cab for a good price if i bought it all so i did. With some cutting some welding it now fits like a glove. The color green and orange is just not cutting it. I hope to paint it before much longer. One question how do you get to the battery? My all metal cab is very heavy and i mounted it primarily to the seat pan witch has to be lifted to get to the battery. I can with a little help unbolt the front 4 bolts holding the window post to the foot rest and tilt it back and set the cab on a saw horses. Yours looks great and hope you get to use it well.

Ted, Your cab is alot like what I have in mind for mine. I still lift with the manual lever so would stay with an entrance method of some kind. Also, thought maybe a bit wider so the lift and the chute rotating shaft would come thru the front instead of the side. Otherwise the mounting method and the basic construction is like I was thinking. Great minds think alike??? One question.... looks like a wiper on the windshield, where did you get it? Is is a car wiper??? Thanks for the pics and info. Your cab looks really nice! Steve-wis

Ted R. Williams
Yes that is a auto. wiper, but I can't remember where I got it from. Right now it's manual because I cooked the wiring when I was working on the other electrics. The batteries are another concern that I have put off. I don't know if you can see the 2 plugs on the rear, but I can charge them both from outside or I can jump the Tractor from the auk. if needed. Hey there's always room for improvements

Someone mentioned above about a heater-well I had one but took it out this cab stays warm inside. The only real holes are around the running boards but I ate so much fumes I moved to the stack exhaust.