Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Length Rear Lift rod on B210

HTews

Haven't posted in awhile. Not much shop time C Does anyone know the length of the rod(thread on each end) that goes between the rear lift and the shaft that runs to the lift handle. I am using a the clevis and pin on each end. Thanks, HT

Howard, I don't know the length of a rod for a 210. I have the rod off the 61 Wards (Simp 700) that I have. It is laying on a shelf in the garage. If you think it would be the same length, then I can measure it for you. I am guessing that there would be 4 inches difference in the length of them. Let me know.

midnightpumpkin
The correct linkage for the rear lift on the B-210 is actually two pieces. Here is a picture of the rear lift rod, on my B-210. It is approximately 39" long, with the links extended.
[img]http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL578/3246133/19205526/352641404.jpg[/img]
Here is another view, with a piece of paper under the links, to give them more contrast.
[img]http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL578/3246133/19205526/352641452.jpg[/img]
The rear lift kit was a seperate line item on these tractors. Simplicity PN 990622, AC PN 2029965. A search of the Simplicity manual web site does not come up with any hits on these numbers. I would suggest you try to find a correct rod, either on e-bay or from a member here. It looks like a straight rod would bind on the top of the driveshaft tunnel. Good luck with your B-210, I am liking ours more, now that I got the Variable speed drive working as designed. John U

My B-210 came with a solid lift rod, not the two-piece type shown above. I can measure it tonight, if no one else pipes in and responds. It had hydraulic lift from the factory, not a dealer conversion. I don't know for sure when they began using the two-piece type, but I understand why. If you use the two-piece type, you lose the ability to put down-pressure on a rear attachment, if that's a consideration. After getting tired of bending my 1/2" rear lift rod using the hydraulic lift, I had John Scheele make me a 9/16" one out of higher-quality, tensile steel. It hasn't bent. Here's a pic of it installed, from when I converted it to a Sundstrand.
[img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/var_hydro/dash_installed.jpg[/img]
My 3112V, in comparison, has the two-piece type as recall, even though it is manual lift. I've had a hydraulic lift to put on it, now, for quite a while. I've just never taken it out of service long enough to tear it apart and install it.

WOW Thanks for the education off the lift link. I am going to try a solid rod. I am just going to use the rear lift for a counter weight for a snow blower. This is my dad's tractor. We just rebuilt the bevel gear box and he wants one of my spare snow blowers to put on it to play with. He really enjoys the tractor, next to his 710 six speed with the B&S 18 V-Twin he has, but that's another story..... Kent if you could measure it I would be grateful. Thanks again for the information. This club is the best!

midnightpumpkin
HT If you are only using it to lift a rear counterweight, can you run a cable like the later 341X and 701X series have? John U

I thought the two-piece rods came into being on the 3300 series and later RBT tractors. The earlier tractors with the one piece rod also used a 1" rod inserted into the lift bracket with a short lenght of chain extending down to the sleeve hitch. The chain allowed the sleeve hitch to float upwards and not buckle the lift rod. IIRC when the two piece rods came into being the lift bracket was also changed to use a short rod between the lift bracket and the sleeve hitch, thus the two-piece rod was necessary to allow the sleeve hitch to float up without buckling the lift rod.
  • Like 1

Howard, I measured the one I think came off it, and it is 33-3/4 inches in length, not counting the screw-on clevis, which was missing. Not sure, but I think this is for a long wheelbase. After thinking about it, it should be 4" longer than the one for a short wheelbase. I couldn't measure the one on the HB-216 -- I couldn't get the tape up through the tunnel and simultaneously hold it on both ends to measure -- after trying couple times in the cold, cold garage I surrendered... Worst case, if you don't have the dashboard tower removed, I'd suggest you just get a 48" piece of 1/2" rod at the hardware store, and plan on using clevises on both ends. You can wiggle one up through the tunnel from the back then put the clevis on and measure, then cut to fit -- though it is a pain...

quote:
I measured the one I think came off it, and it is 33-3/4 inches in length, not counting the screw-on clevis, which was missing. Not sure, but I think this is for a long wheelbase. After thinking about it, it should be 4" longer than the one for a short wheelbase.
Just checked one I got for my 3210V and it also is 33-3/4 " .Unfortunately, it's for the small frame tractors . It's the same size as the one on my B110 . Not sure of the actual length of the large frame rods .

700, 725, B-1 B-10 Big10 B-12 B-110, B-112, HB-112, B-210, B-212, HB-212, Landlord-9hp, Landlord 101, 2000 series, 2100 series, 3012, 3100 series, 3200 series, 3300 series, 3400 series, 7000 series 7100 series 700 & 900 series Allis Chalmeres were all large frame tractors. The small frame tractors are Broadmoore 6hp, 707, 717,727, 728, 738 5008, 5010, 5010ltd, 4000 series, 5000 series, 6000 series, & B-206, B-207, B-208 Homesteader 6, 7, 8HP 500 series 600, series 800 series Allis Chalmers and I might have missed a few.
  • Like 1

UCD , here's a question . I have a B110 and a 3210V . The lift rod from the B100 is several inches to short to fit on the 3210V . Is it because one is manual lift vs the other being hydro? Or is there a difference in frame length?

quote:
Just checked one I got for my 3210V and it also is 33-3/4 " .Unfortunately, it's for the small frame tractors . It's the same size as the one on my B110 .
I thought the Vari-drives had a 4" longer wheelbase(from the side-plates)than the 3speed/HB's? Or is it just the 12hp Vari-drives? I also need one for a B110 and I had one from a 3212V and it was too long(~4").

quote:
Originally posted by albj93
quote:
Just checked one I got for my 3210V and it also is 33-3/4 " .Unfortunately, it's for the small frame tractors . It's the same size as the one on my B110 .
I thought the Vari-drives had a 4" longer wheelbase(from the side-plates)than the 3speed/HB's? Or is it just the 12hp Vari-drives? I also need one for a B110 and I had one from a 3212V and it was too long(~4").
Lol , I'll trade ya lift rods . I have the shorter one and need the longer one . Also I wonder if that is why the rod won't fit my 3210V . The B110 is a hi-lo setup and the simp is variable .

quote:
Originally posted by ptmmatssc Lol , I'll trade ya lift rods . I have the shorter one and need the longer one . Also I wonder if that is why the rod won't fit my 3210V . The B110 is a hi-lo setup and the simp is variable .
Yes, that is why it doesn't fit, Your variable speed tractor has the longer wheelbase thus requires a longer lift rod. The B-110's were a 3peed short wheelbase like a B-10 or B-12. Any of the variable speed or hydrostatic (HB-112,HB-212) tractors are longwheelbase and thus use the longer rod.

Straight 3 speed = short wheel base. 3 speed variable and hydrostatic = long wheel base 4" up to and including 7100 series The 7100 series had a longer hood overhang in front of the front axle. All are considered large frame tractors though.