Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MichaelGT

738 steering wheel bushing.

MichaelGT
I'am trying to figure out how to get my steering wheel off to replace the bushing. Any input ?? My manual says theres a nut and bolt but mine doesen't have a nut and bolt. ????? Lou.

SimpleMan
I'm only guessing, but on the newer units the steering wheel is held on with a roll pin which needs to be punched out You can see it if you look between the steering wheel, and the dash. Like I said, only a guess, I'm not familiar with a 738. GordU

MPH
Thanks, I'll look a little harder, When I looked at it there seemed to be a solid looking thing/ cant tell if it was a pin or part of the shaft. my book shows a nut and a bolt through there , but it doesn't raven look like a busted off bolt. Thanks for your help. Lou.

Lou, I can only give you another idea from what I did on my 720. The steering wheel has about a 1-1/2 inch long slotted bushing that fits over the steering shaft with a bolt that squeezes that tight up against the shaft. My hole where the bolt goes through got a little sloppy making a little play in the steering. So, I replaced the bolt and took a roll pin that fit tight in the hole. The pin can be no longer that the diameter of the wheel bushing. In fact a little shorter to allow for compression of the clamp. Put a good heavy duty hose clamp around it and tighten it down. This squeezes the bushing slot around the shaft and presto, the play is gone. I hope that this gives you an idea of what worked for me. Lots of luck getting your wheel off. John

JordB110
Thanks for the idea John, but when I look at the hole on my sloted busning that fits over the shaft all I see is the shaft , its allmost like the hole is not lined up with the hole on the shaft. I tryed prying the wheel up and tryed twisting thr wheel from side to side to mabie line up the holes but it wont BUDGE. Help,1!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I finaly got the steering wheel off, Someone really gamed the wheel down over the shaft pretty good because it took two of us and a lot of twisting and yanking to finelly get it off the shaft.It was pushed passed the hole and on there preety dam tight. Oh well, just another hack job done to my tractor. Phew !! A lot of pains are going into this tractor. I hope its all worth it. Lou.