Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hi/Lo pully system.

bigten65

Has anyone ever made a Hi/Lo pulley system? I have a Bigten and I think it can be done. With extra pulleys, the same size on the front and say a 10 inch on the tranny. Just bolt the new ones onto the old ones, and another idler pulley. With a switching system from one to other. When it warms up a little in frigid Mn. I will give it a try. More on this later.

quote:
Originally posted by bigten65
Has anyone ever made a Hi/Lo pulley system? I have a Bigten and I think it can be done. With extra pulleys, the same size on the front and say a 10 inch on the tranny. Just bolt the new ones onto the old ones, and another idler pulley. With a switching system from one to other. When it warms up a little in frigid Mn. I will give it a try. More on this later.
Find someone who has a later-model (i.e. an RBT) with a 6-speed and examine how it works. It is essentially what you describe. Two sets of pulleys, two belts, but one of those belts is disengaged when the other is engaged. Which brings up another question... Has anyone ever tried to adapt one of these to a short wheelbase machine?

Kent, You would need to use the plates for the 6 speed, which would then make a long wheel base tractor. Looking at the Homelite T-10 that I am working on, the area between the trans and bgb is full. Mount the operating lever and find room for the linkage rod and belt shields/stops,it should work. Jim

Thanks, Jim. That's what I suspected, but I've never owned a "6-speed", and only looked at them briefly a time or two. Too bad, because a short wheelbase 6-speed (i.e. Hi/Low) is a neat machine.

Here are a couple of pictures of the 6 speed system. It is missing one belt and the low speed pulley, but you can see the linkage. It is somewhat complicated.