Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Brent_Baumer

Lower Idler Spring 916H

Brent_Baumer
I have a 1987 Deutz 916H. About a year and a half ago the spring that, along with a lever, is used to tension the mower deck drive belt broke. It is the spring that attaches to the movable idler pulley, a linkage and the lever at the rear of the tractor. Anyway, I took the spring to my dealer to get a replacement. His manuals and microfiche say I need a 1715435 (current number) or 1666786 (old number) spring. The trouble is, this (new) spring is roughly 3" shorter than the one that broke. I tried it anyway and it wouldn't work as it had waaaay too much tension. I ended up fabricating a homemade spring extension which works ok except it can rub the lower idler if I don't have things adjusted just right. I took the old spring back into the dealer again today for another try at getting the right spring. We went through the same process, only this time he looked up A/C 916H, DA 916H, AGCO 916H and Sim. 7116H tractors on the fiche. All said I needed the shorter spring that is waaaaaay to tight. Anybody got any idea what's going on here? I thought maybe my linkage from the spring to the lever might be shorter than is supposed to be (ie homemade) but it looks factory. Thanks for any help. Brent BTW - If you run a snowblower on your tractor driven from the center PTO (bevel gear box)and change to the mower deck in the spring, don't forget to move the idler pulley to the upper "ear". Forgetting this will cause your almost new belt to slip and get cut shortly after starting mowing and make you have to run to the dealer for another $25 new belt and postpone mowing until the next day when you already had other plans!

SimpleMan
Ask your dealer what the part number is for a Simplicity Sovereign....they use the same spring as a 916,917etc Allis. I had to replace mine last year, and had no trouble. One other thing, did you readjust your mower belt tension after you installed the new spring? Maybe the belt is too tight? Just checking. GordU

Brent_Baumer
The only ways I know to adjust the belt tension are to use a different hole in the lever (I think mine has 2 or 3, I tried them all) or adjusting the lower idler position by sliding it back or forward. I looked at the spring on a 2000 Soveriegn in his showroom and it appeared to be the shorter one, not longer like the one that broke. I took the linkage off my 3416H to compare it to my 916H and they are the same length, made a little differently, but about the same shape and same length. With the shorter spring on, you cannot even get the belt on as the tension is too great to overcome (yes, with the lever "down"). I thought maybe someone changed the linkage out for some reason to an older, and shorter, one thus creating my problem. Should the linkage on the 916H be the same length as on the older, shorter wheel base tractors or should it be a bit longer?????

SimpleMan
If you can compare your linkage to the 2000 Sovereign you looked at it should give you a good indication as to how yours should be set up. I know when I replaced my spring I compared it to my dads' 917H, and it was the same length. Oh, something you should check. The new springs are a little "thicker" round the middle. You may want to check if it rubs against the back idler bracket. Mine did and it 'sheared off' had to replace the crazy thing twice in one season. I had to round off the bracket a little with a file so that the sharp edge would not rub on the spring. Just warning you. GordU p.s. Unfortunatly my tractor is in the shop at this moment, or I'd go and measure the spring from my tractor and let you know. Good Luck with yours.