Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Drive Belt Tension

I can not seem to get anything out of http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/ anymore :( I can't find my 725 PDF :( At any rate I was wondering if someone had any idea how to get more tension out of the belt. I have the idler pully moved to the other hole and that worked for a while but now its to loose again :(

Is this what you are looking for? http://www.simplicitymfg.com/document/index.cfm?doc=TP_400_1231_00_LL_S_LO.pdf Also is your clutch pedal real free? I think it has a grease zerk.

On my 700 there were two holes in the arm that the idler mounts to. It must be in the outer hole to be the tightest. I had belt slippage problems when pulling till I moved the idler to the outer hole. No more slippage.

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
On my 700 there were two holes in the arm that the idler mounts to. It must be in the outer hole to be the tightest. I had belt slippage problems when pulling till I moved the idler to the outer hole. No more slippage.
I already did that and it worked great for a while. The arm moves freely all the way back till it stops. I guess its just time to change the belt :( Thanks all!

If the idler arm is moving all the way to the stop, then the belt is too long, either it has stretched or the cross-section is worn down enough so that it rides much lower in the pulleys than it should, or it always was a little too long.

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
If the idler arm is moving all the way to the stop, then the belt is too long, either it has stretched or the cross-section is worn down enough so that it rides much lower in the pulleys than it should, or it always was a little too long.
Yea thats what I figured, time for a new belt. I tried to grab the belt off the other tractor but it was to short. The rear pull on the transmission was smaller.