Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Help!!!

skot71

Got 8 inches of snow or so, and my B-208 won't start. Sean (ZippoVarga) installed the new engine and got it running sweet last summer, and it ran great until last night when it wouldn't fire. I don't know a whole lot about small engines, so that's where you all come in. The starter/generator is only a starter, but the engine cranks over fine. It acted like it wanted to fire a couple times, but then wouldn't. Every now and then, as I cranked and cranked it over, it would try to fire with a puff of grey smoke coming out of the muffler. What should I check?? Thank you much in advance for any advice or help!!!!!!

Not knowing exactly what engine you have... To start, you need: Fuel, Air, Compression, and Spark (at the right time) 1) Pull the spark plug and turn the motor over several times to clear any flooded condition you may have. 2) Check the plug to see if it's a greyish-brown(OK). If it is BLACK. clean it with some 180G sandpaper and re-gap it to .030 3) re-attach the plug wire to the plug- and hold the plug against the cylinder head. Turn the motor over- and check to see if you have a strong BLUE spark across the plug. If it's RED or yellowish.. you may need to adjust your points. IF you have NO spark, there's a few more things to check later. 4) hold your finger tight in the spark-plug hole. Turn the motor over, and the compression should blow past your finger. IF you have a 10-12-16HP Kohler w/automatic compression release- you will feel pressure, but not enough to blow past your finger. 5) Be sure you have enough fuel in the gas tank.. and that it is getting to the carburetor. If you have a fuel filter- take it off and shake it, or blow through it in reverse direction... to be sure it's clear. 6) TAP lightly on the body of the carburetor with a leather/plastic mallet. This "may" free up a stuck needle/float 7) remove and inspect your air cleaner element. Blow it out with high-pressure air if you have a compressor. If not... try to start the engine without it...but don't run it long without a new filter installed. Now that you have checked everything- put the plug back in, set the choke to fully closed- then open it 1/8". Position throttle at wide-open. Crank the starter.... As RPM's increase (2-3 seconds) IF it hasn't popped or backfired,close the choke fully for a second- and then open it fully for about 5 seconds (all while cranking the engine- don't stop cranking) If it doesn't pop or start, close the choke again fully and slowly open it 1/8" .. hopefully it'll start. If it doesn't start in 30 seconds- try the same procedure (all steps)- using some spray-starting fluid. If it still won't start- you have a condition that can't be diagnosed via the forum... someone needs to look at it. Good Luck Ray

Ray, thanks SO much for your suggestions. I'll try them tonight. By the way, it's an 8 horse Briggs. It's not the original engine, but exactly the same as what came on it.

If it's been a little while since you ran the engine, then remove the carb. bowl and drain the gas from the carb. At this time open the fuel flow and verify that you have a good flow of fresh gas. Install the bowl, turn on the fuel, wait 10 seconds and try to crank it. I see this crummy gas gets stagnant and separates if it sits for any length of time. Moister will collect in the bottom of the carb. bowl. The engine won't run on water vapor so.... Ray is on the right track for an engine that has not been running lately, and has mapped out a good check list of things to go through when trying to fire any engine.

I keep a can of starting fluid in the garage. On very cold days I will give the tractor a short, about 1 second shot in the air cleaner. It is usually just enough to get them to start. If they don't start and continue running after that then I start looking for other things like corroded points, etc.

The last time it was ran was Sunday, and I filled the tank with fresh gas (bought the day before) after I ran it. Not saying it wasn't bad gas, but everything was normal Sunday! Plowed my street, my neighbors drives, the street behind me and their drives, and loaded it up and plowed an elderly couples long drive and parking area. So maybe I overdid it and Murphy showed up between then and now??

Do you park in a heated shop? Had the thought maybe after your sunday work out in the snow you have mositure in the carb/fuel system as it cooled from being warmed up so good if it's parked in the cold. Is your plug wet after cranking with full choke? Fact you say it tires to fire makes me think gas problem first.

Now that I know it's a Briggs engine... [img]http://www.ncsdc.com/TEMP/bs.gif[/img]...LOL! I always wanted to find a use for that little smiley... it never occurred to me that he's a Briggs and Stratton Parts Rep.... Ray

I've noticed on several of my Briggs,(and also a 12HP Kohler) that they like to start with the throttle just barely open. How was it starting before?

My 23D does that. I have to start it at 20% throttle or else it won't stay running, but that is as much due to my low idle. Condensation is a definite chance. I highly reccomend a fuel shutoff valve added near the carb for storage. Mine always get shut off 20 sec prior to ignition cut to drain the fuel bowl down. Less fumes and less gum.

Hmmm.... Good suggestions guys. I won't be able to get to it until saturday. My wife's cousin died and the calling and funeral are in the next couple days. Of course I slipped on snow and wrenched my back. Oughta be fun since I'm a pallbearer. This is exactly why I love this club, all the great advice. I'll report in on what i find. Thank you all again!!!!

All good suggestions! Add to the list corroded points. I keep some 320 grit sandpaper around for these occasions. Remove the point cover and drag the clean sandpaper between the points a few times.

Briggs engines with points and condensers will have starting problems if snow or moisture gets in under the cover, swap out your condenser with a new one from napa or simplicity, I'll bet you it starts.