Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Big Ten Just Died

mikego

I'm bummed, I finally got the 3 belt blower to run and actually blow snow yesterday, just went out to start her up to clean up from todays dump of snow and the engine broke the rod!!!! I feel better ranting about it now, thanks for listening!!

MAJOR BUMMER! Maybe this would be a good time to find a 16hp Briggs and do a transplant for more power! I think a 16hp would bolt right in and may even use the same wiring. There are several others here that could give you better details of just what is involved with the change a may even be able to help you locate an engine. Dan

quote:
Originally posted by PeppyDan
MAJOR BUMMER! Maybe this would be a good time to find a 16hp Briggs and do a transplant for more power! I think a 16hp would bolt right in and may even use the same wiring. There are several others here that could give you better details of just what is involved with the change a may even be able to help you locate an engine. Dan
A re-power sound great, I am/will be working outside so a bolt in replacement would be the way to go.

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
How cold was it out when you went to start it, and what oil did you have in it.
It was actually warmer yesterday than the day before, 20 deg. vs 5 deg. The oil is 10w 30, It was running fine the day before it happened, I had used it to clean up the yard to get ready for what turned into a 12-15 inch dump of snow. Yesterday it started right up as usual, moved about 15 feet at half throttle made a sharp cracking noise and we're done !! On the bright side, atleast it didn't punch a hole in the block!!

Well, $1700.00 later I brought home a new Simplicity large frame 30" cut snow blower, so now the Big Ten can be the project tractor it was supposed to be in the first place. Time to start researching Repower options. I like the idea of the 16 horsepower motor, the trick will be to find one. When better weather arrives, I intend to tear down the 10 horse to see what actually broke and probably rebuild it just because I can.

Mike, Dan is correct in that a 16hp is a direct replacement from the original 10hp. My 1964 early B-10 has a 16hp repower and all I did was remove the Starter Generator (S/G) from the engine, disconnect the kill wire from behind the points cover, fuel line, throttle and choke linkage, drive shaft and 4 mounting bolts and out with the old and in with the new. It's a little more involved than that with the removal of the regulator plate, grill assembly, oil drain pipe etc. But it is strait forward. Those 16HP engines are out there...just look for the tell tale two fin hump on the head and you'll have either a 15 or 16hp. With your blown 10hp...if it has the older style bowl crank case vent behind the S/G, be sure to check that the flying debris didn't break out the cast baffle plate in the block. This happened to me and it renders the block a paper weight, as oil can be blown directly into the crank case vent with out this baffle piece in tact. The result is a very messy quart of oil spewed everywhere in a short matter of time.

quote:
Originally posted by ZippoVarga
Those 16HP engines are out there...just look for the tell tale two fin hump on the head and you'll have either a 15 or 16hp.
What were the common machines that the 16 hp was available in? I might as well start looking now just for something to do.

I put a 16 in my Landlord a couple of years ago. The engine came off a Ford lawnmower, and had the wrong starter/generator bracket. The oil pan on the 16 did not have the hole tapped for the oil plug, so I swapped to my original 10 HP (Also a repower by the previous owner). The belt pulley for the 16 was a different arrangement than what I needed, so I swapped flywheels, as well. There may also be limited problems with the carburetor linkage, or not, depending on what the 16 came off of. The grille mounting bolts will simply not work on top of the 16 as they were on the 10, so I cheated and just did not install the top bracket. Other than the minor problems described, a 16 fits right where the 10 came from. And, a 16 will make you proud when using the tractor.