Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

L10 loader score

mikeb

My brother Steve (who understands my Simple trACtors disease all too well) called me Saturday and said he’d found what sounds like a B10 with a loader on Craig’s List (no pics) about an hour south of him: am I interested? What, is this a trick question? :) At first we thought it might be some sort of home made Johnny bucket, but eventually learned enough to id the loader over the phone as what appeared to be a L10 model. The guy was asking $500 for it, the B10 it was mounted on, and a second parts chassis with a rototiller. Hmmmmm, well, probably worth a look see…… At this point in my tractor adventures I’m always fantasizing a complete hi-low unit, or a hydro lift, or a right hand lift lever will magically appear when I get to look at the tractor for the first time, but it hasn’t happened yet. :( My brother put 500 bucks in his pocket, loaded up his flatbed trailer behind his truck, and took off south on Monday afternoon to inspect the unit up close. I had shared with him a few things to look for and asked him to call me from the site after he looked at the tractor. Later that afternoon he called me, but was already on his way home. He said it was in decent shape, he took some pictures of it and would send them to me later that evening. "But, but, but you were supposed to call me and ... oh, never mind." Of course, that was the longest evening of my life. I must have checked my inbox a thousand times. When the pics finally showed up, here’s the first one I saw:

I stared at the loader, thinking it was in reasonable shape, maybe I ought to buy it, and then my eyes focused on something else in the picture. I grabbed for the phone. Push, push, push, push …..ring, ring, ring………. "Hello, Steve? So, when can you go back down there and buy it?" We were sucessful, it's all at his house now! :D Here are a few more pics.

Not sure where those rear tires came from, and it looks like the bucket has been added on to.

Here's the attempt to use what looks like a Ford power steering pump for the hydraulics......

Looks like a previous owner has discovered the BGB stress problem. Will have to look into this closer once the tractor is up here.

I believe that's a more modern B&S engine, model number puts in in the 10 hp range. I don't have any pics yet of the parts chassis, will post some soon I hope. So, do I owe my brother a dinner or something (besides the 500 bucks)? Thanks again for this site. I hope you enjoy the pics and the story, I've taken so much from this site over the years it feels great to finally give something back! mike bennett madera, CA

Definately wourth the 500.00, and the surprise was a nice addition. I'm surprised to find a right hand lift lever on a loader tractor.

Steal one of the front tires off that wierd green thing and get that thing rolling!}:) Its got a Right ahnd lift lever tooOO The fat stubby stack is funny lookin:D

I'd say a good steak dinner should be in your brother's future! Nice score, I am also suprised by the dual lift levers on it.:drl So did the parts chassis come home too?

500 bucks well spent, just remember it's not a 966 Cat loader and you'll have fun with it. Rather surprized a loader made it out to Ca., not to common west of the Missi.

These pics were taken at the previous owners site, so I can't lay claim to that green thing! Yes, the parts chassis with the rototiller came with the deal, don't know yet what kind of condition it is in or whether it comes with the PTO or not..... He also threw in the original rear rims for the B10. I'm unsure of the tractor's year, but it looks like an early B10 to me so I think that would make it 1964ish. The rear box blade looks homemade to me, but I can't be sure just from the pics. Does the lower portion of the blades framework look like it might be made from the frame of a mid mount grader blade? That might explain the RH lift lever...... My brother has confirmed the cylinders are not rebuildable. It appears the right side cylinder was cut apart and rewelded apparently in an attempt to replace seals or keep it from leaking. If you look real close in pic #3 you can just make out the weld bead around the cylinder where it was welded back together. Anyone source cylinders like these or replacements that are close enough? I doubt I will fully restore this tractor: the tractor looks pretty rough to me and my experience has been loader tractors tend to be used and abused well beyond a normal garden tractor. I have much more suitable round hood FDT's at home, so most likely the loader will be refurbished and installed on a completely different tractor. mike

At that price, it is a great deal! BTW, since you already have a non-original pump, and need to replace the lift cylinders, you may want to consider adding dual-acting lift cylinders and a new control valve. As far as that goes, it wouldn't be difficult to add a dump cylinder to replace the bucket trip if you're interested... Looks like a great project at that $$$.... You did great!

How come nobody's mentioned the rear box/grader blade? Can't say I've seen many of them kicking around either. Looks like three rare finds in one stop shopping.

I have an original operators manual if you need one. We have one just like it in the garage. Another great savedOddOd

WOW! great score 8D i see lots of goodies on that one. too bad there was'nt a HI-LO. but, right hand lift , loader, box blade, 3" tiller drive pulley, 8D8D8D....you did good ^.

• 1 month later...
CharlieVoda
Great find! The loader is rated at 500 LB breakaway with 300 lb lift. You got a great deal. Do the back wheels have the spacers? That could explain the narrow tires. My loader came with 3" approx. spacers on the back wheels. You are gonna have a great time with your new tractor. I wish I had the back blade it is a beauty. Lift lever is nice too. I sold a complete L10 loader only last summer for 950.00 here in tropical Minnesota. Have two located if I can get them both are on B10s. I may have an original style pump "painted green I didn't paint it" that bolts to the loader frame just behind the crash shield it looks like the original pump bracket is still on your unit. It hooks up with a coupler direct to the front motor shaft. There are some pics in my profile. I have a manual if you want a copy. Thanks keep smilin and have fun.