Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Belt question

AllisPhreak

I recently found a source for auger v-belts far cheaper than I've ever been able to pick them up . Has anyone ever used these types of belts ? They are called "Aramid Kevlar" belts. I can pick up far cheaper than comparative Simplicity belts - less than a third of the price, in fact. Are they comparative in durability to the Simplicity belt ? Do they over-stretch like the Simplicity belts ? Ant ideas ?

Never heard of them but if they are that cheap they are probably too good to be true. I have had much better luck with Simplicity Belts than aftermarket ones though the last time I ordered some, one of the Starter Generator belts was made in Mexico, not sure if the quality will be as good as it used to be.

Believe the strong point of Simplicity belts is there ability to be bent backwards over idlers, think that's what causes most other belts to fail in most Simplicity applications.

Why I'm searching for a 'better' belt is that I'm constantly having 'stretching' issues, even with top-quality Simplicity belts. The belt will function fine for a couple snowfalls, then will gradually stretch out of shape until, even with adjustments, the belt will quickly fly off the pulleys. I'm hoping these "kevlar' belts will prove better resistant to this 'stretching'.

Kevlar backed belts have been out for twenty some years. Their claim to frame is to keep belts from stretching. Most belts today with the exeception of 3L and 4L FHP belts won't give more then a 1/4 inch in length. If it does, the backing is broke and belt is usless.

If it Kevlar it worth a try. I use gates green belts with very good luck. The last belt I bought was for my snow thrower it is a Kevlar I got at the Farm and Fleet store been working just like it should it cost around 11 bucks and change. If you keep throwing belts you might check your pulley alignment,(just a thought.)

Willy - I gave the pulley alignment issue some thought some time back, checked it, and seemed to be fine. One argument against a pulley alignment issue is that, when new, the simplicity belts always worked perfectly. Only after one or two 3 to 4 hour workouts removing snow from the driveway does the belt begin leaping of the pulleys. In addition, I have taken to measuring the belts new vs. after they seen some use, and almost invariably the belts are stretched longer...but showing very little signs of wear otherwise. One thought I had is that perhaps I had the tension on the belt too extreme initially, causing the belt to begin stretching immediately....however, any loosening of the tension cause the belt to immediately jump off the pulley....even when new. I think I may try these Kevlar belts....I gotta try something different, and $19 per belt won't break the bank.

Answers to Commonly Asked Questions V Belts Belt Diagnosis And Troubleshooting Guide http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22257 Make sure all belt guides and stops are in place and adjusted properly. In 35 years of running Simplicity equipment I have had very few problems with stretched belts or thrown belts and when I did it was misaligned pulleys, bad sheave/idler bearings or missing or misadjusted belt stops/guides.