Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 175

laytonlight

Seeing Dave's progress on the 9020 (Great job by the way, I want one like that!) reminded me of this AC that was in an outbuilding that was on a farm where I rented a house several years ago. I don't know anything about them, but it just impressed me, close up, as a real beast. Just the basics. Nothing but engine, hydraulics and a transmission on a rock solid frame. I never got to hear them fire it up.

Unfortunately I don't know the year. It didn't belong to the family I rented from, I think it was one of their son's friend's who was going in with the sons in growing some alfalfa on the property. Just for fun, here's the other photo I have of it.

In the early 70's my dad bought a 185 and put a cab on it. It was the big tractor on farm. When I came around my dad sold out to my grandpa and many rides on the AC. It was the only cab tractor of my Grandpa's or Dad's. My Dad still has the "new" fenders as the cab replaced the original fenders. When on this site I first saw the powermaxes I thought they look just like the 185.

Carl, are those fenders for sale?? I'd certainly like to have a set of late model fenders for my 17 As a side note, the 170 tractor is a D-17 with new sheet metal and more modern hydraulics. The 175 is a stronger version and then the migration to the 180/185 tractors. All of which are based on the orriginal D-17 chassis. The 616/620/720 tractors came out at the same time of the series change from the D-series to the Numbered series. This is the reason they are patterned after the larger AC tractor line. You'll notice the hood line and grill looks just like the 190XT's tractor.