Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4041 Powermax

Ryan

A car dealer in town has a 4041 with a mower deck, size unknown, for sale for $3k. I can by an 8n Ford cheaper than that. What's so special, and why so high? Ryan

Is the powermax 4whell drive? if not does Simplicty make one? Personally I wouldn't trade my 725 for an 8n, just because of size on 3 acers.

It depends on what you're going to use your tractor for. Most people wouldn't mow their lawn with an 8N, or pull a bale wagon with a Powermax. The Powermax series 4040, 4041, 9020, AC616, 620, 720, is a very versatile tractor. If you can find attachments, you can do just about anything you can do with a compact tractor. I'm seeing more and more Cat "0" attachments made available every year. This is no ordinary garden tractor. It weighs 1480# without attachments (more than a similarly powered Kubota or John Deere compact with 4-wheel drive) and once you try to pull something, you will be amazed at the available torque. If you have an F-350 with 460 or Cummins Diesel you can trailer a Ford 8N. I use an AWD Astro van to tow my 9020's and 4041 even with the loader and backhoe which add about 1200#. Most people with 8N's would sell at the right price. I think that most powermax owners wouldn't. Powermax_Paul

I can go places with my Powermax that a wider and taller 8n/9n can not. On the other side, I can go places and do things that the smaller lawn tractors can not. The Powermax has great ground clearance, good power and if you can find them, all the attachments you could need. You can't get a JD855 or Ford 1215 for 3k! Heck, a JD455 2wheel drive lawn mower with no attachements costs nearly 10k new and 5k used.

They are awesome, well built tractors, and greatly appreciated by their loyal owners. I feel that they are much better built than what can be purchased new, today - in our disposable society. Have you priced the new compact Deere's and Kubota's? You can buy 4-5 PowerMax's in good condition for the price of one new Deere. The 8N's are great tractors, also - but, a PowerMax will perform the same functions with a more "compact" design. Just my 2 cents worth, so value accordingly. Jeff

Sorry Ryan, I thought an 8n weighed more than that. Regardless, with the hills around here, I'd be aprehensive about towing a 2400# tractor with a compact P/U. I do think that $3000 is high for a 4041 unless it's in exceptional condition and has the rear PTO, Front hydraulics and 3PH. I paid $1900 each for my 9020's. I would have to get over $3500 though if I were to sell one. Parts are easier to find for an 8n, and probably less expensive. Again, it boils down to what you want to do. Powermax is a Garden Tractor while 8N is/was intended to be a light duty AG tractor. B Wally, I use a Powerking tiller on my 9020's, no mods required. Woods still makes the RM42CO 42" rotary mower. If you don't get satisfaction at your implement dealer, try going direct to the company. Most company websites have an E-mail contact. As far as non powered Cat 0 attachments are concerned, check Brinly Hardy or Northern Tools catalog. Powermax_Paul

Ok people, I'm not knocking the 4041. I just can't see paying that kind of price for it, and would not trade my 1951 8n for it, not even with boot. Powermax Paul: The 8n weighs 2400 lbs. wet. I pull it around with a Toyota pickup, that includes the wagner loader, 2-12 plow and a 6 foot disk. D-14 on the other hand, I use my 3/4 ton truck. Ryan

The problem with a powermax is the PTO. You can only use powermax attachments. A 8N you can use just about anything on the PTO the tractor can handle, except it is not live PTO. I have a Case 300 which is a little larger than a Ford,it weighs about 3500lbs. It has live PTO,hydraulics,power steering and 12speeds forward, 3 reverse.Yes this tractor is a little big for cutting grass, but it will do anything else you can throw at it.Being liquid cooled is a big plus for engine longivity. Biggest plus is that it will travel down the road on it's own at nearly 30mph,otherwise it goes on the car trailer behind my 1/2ton Chevy. Also parts are easy to get as they interchange with other models, and are reasonably priced.

Paul, 3pt attachments are everywhere. Fleet/Farm, Tisco,Farm/Fleet and any good LG center or AG dealer. My brother sells Long tractors and Equipment, also can order just about any attachment you can think of. Love my ACs and Simplicitys, but My Case 446 does the heavier light duty work. 300 Case does the mans work.

Powermax_Paul. I could not help but notice your Cat 0 attachments contacts. Do you have more information about these two resources? Thank you - Mike Fillmore (Homey)

• 5 weeks later...