Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Dual Duty Ready---Out to Play

MPH

Finally brought the grader blade in out of the cold to try out my right hand lift.

Get about 3 inches lift now, guess I should have stuck a couple 2x's under it for show ehh. Might grind the down position stop off some, then I could remove one link of chain, still have some slack but get more lift, will try it out first in the snow.

In spite of the wind blowing 25-30 at 10 below I hadda plow the drive before I packed it again. Grader blade is full of soft hard pack from driving on a few times, front blade full of the inch or so of new snow. With both blades down them Firestone 23 degree Ags almost met their match going up hill. Couldn't stand on the grader blade up hill.

If I get a half way nice day gonna play some more, driveway is getting kinda narrow.:D

Yea, my LL is a '64. Wish I had painted it when I had it apart checking it out, but, that's life, been working too good and to hard to tear down so far. Yea, I made the rt hand lift, first tried cutting apart and reversing a left hand quadrant, don't work, but wasn't giving up then so made my own, not oem copy but works. Think if you had a solid lift rod to a grader blade you'd wind up with the tires off the ground when you hit something hard. pretty easy to grade smooth by standing on the blade or raising with the lift. For the grader blade I like manual lift better then hydro lift, it's not heavy to lift and I have better control. Thanks Roy

Jace, those are 23 degree Firestones. Marty, excellent fab work!! On my OEM right hand lift, the back tab is just a hair narrower than the space between the actuator/release thing-a-ma-jig and the flat stock part of the lift arm. This allows you to use it as a rest or as a lock. If you grind the tab narrow enough at the back you should be set to go with the slack on the chain and still be able to raise it to the desired height, as you mentioned initially. Again, I am envious of your fabricating abilities! My dual duty is set up the same as yours and the only time I run into a problem is if I am cresting a slope that causes the grader to dig in and cause me a loss of traction.

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
For the grader blade I like manual lift better then hydro lift, it's not heavy to lift and I have better control.
i agree manual lift is better with the center blade. great job on the r-lift marty ^. i love my dual lifts. you may as well keep on making them:D i could use another one ;).

MowerMechanic
Does it try to push too much snow for how much traction you can apply? looks like it can grab more than it can handle.

Don, I can run any of my tractors outta traction with or without chains by standing on the grader blade when cutting hardpack, at least til it gets down to the point where the blade just makes washboard because it can't bite in anymore. Chains just dig a hole through it worse. The hitch on the grader blade will 'plug' up with 1/2 inch of snow, have considered tring to mount the hitch to the blade higher up to give it more clearence. Wasn't really planning on using both blades at the same time. Reason I wantted both blades on one tractor is the front blade won't cut the packed on tracks off. Not that I get that much snowfall at once, what I get in oct lasts til april and I get a lot of 1/2 snow dustings that add up to railroad tracks if always packed down and left. Quit often, because it just ain't no fun plowing 1/2 inch of snow I don't 'get at' these dustings, so I need the grader blade. If I modify the grader so it'll handle more snow under the hitch the idea set up would be to have it on the B-112 with the blower as I can't blade the snow over the snow berm once they get a foot and half high, my wing hasn't impressed me yet, after awhile there just ain't no place to blade it to, gotta blow it.

MowerMechanic
With the amount of experience you have pushing snow im sure you could slap a shovel to the front of a bicycle and get the job done. Im sure most of a machines capabilites is the capability of the operator. You have some impressive machines and i admire anyone who can think outside the box to get a job done faster better or cheaper. Keep up the good work:D

slap a shovel to the front of a bicycle and get the job done.--- Now that be a true yuppie operation:D:D:D:D don't think I fit the thought process;)