Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3-bolt carbs

MrSteele

I am looking for parts for a 1938 model ZZ Briggs. What I need seems simple enough, a needle and seat for the carb. Has anyone had any luck, or even attempted to use a later model needle and seat from a 4 bolt carb in the older models? I have checked with a local supplier and have come up with NLA on the parts.

Have you tried parts from a later model three bolt carb like was used on the 19D? If you can find a good one of those, you may be able to just replace the old one with a newer one. I have two that are on running engines, but don't have any extra ones at the moment.

I have not tried that. I'll have to get more info on the 19d to see if it is nearly the same. The ZZ needle does not have the extra piece on the top to engage the float tang, but is made like an automobile needle with a smooth top. I have the ZZ parts manuals, but the images are not so great as to see a lot of detail. The float tang rides on the end of the needle. How is it in the 19D?

The "ZZ" engine was morphed into the "23" series that grew to the "231XXXX", from 6 to 9 HP. You might try a 190XXX horizontal shaft engine and see where that gets you also. You might be able to get a later year carb from an old snowblower or the like.

I just looked at the 23d parts manual. If the needle is really as shown on the parts list image, it is different, as the end of the needle has a shoulder to accept the spring clip that operates the float. The needle and seat on the old manual shows a part # of 99780 for a ZZ The same parts for a 23D is part #293962. I will check the length of the later model needles and see is the shoulder can be removed and still work in the ZZ. Spring plowing time approaches, and the tractor needs to be running.

Actually, it is a help in its own way. I can see someone is reading and thinking. Someone just might have an answer. I am going to try to start the engine today and put the tractor in the shop, to make it a bit easier to work on it during the rainy season, I have 2 carbs, and was going to build one, but that doesn't look like it is going to happen. I did find a $55 dollar kit NOS online, finally, and a connecting rod for not a bunch more. I have 2 ZZ's as well, one with a broken rod.....

a friend of mine restored a 1946 pond tractor with a old briggs ZZ engine. he said smith's was a big help. here is some of his links that might help [url]http://www.smithservice.org/[/url] [url]http://home.cogeco.ca/~jcox109/[/url] [url]http://www.manddsmallengine.com/[/url]

Thanks! I am at home, recuperating with pneumonia, and have time to look for parts, but haven't the energy and do not want to make things worse by going into the shop to work!