Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sovereign Types/Interchangeability

1934CA

I have a 1977 7116H (1690477) that I broke the rear axle tube. Actually, it's destroyed because there's nothing left to weld together anymore. I thought I would try to replace the tube, but the dealer told me that it's a major job and expensive. So, I figured I would try to get a used rear end but I'm not sure what other model would fit? The dealer said that swapping rear end units is difficult, is that correct? I just found a newer Sovereign (1692945) at the local dealer they just took in on trade and they couldn't tell me until Monday what is wrong with it. They think the engine is shot so I thought I could get it and put the rear end in my tractor but it looks different than mine. This one has the trans filter on the rear while mine has the filter on the oil reservoir. So, maybe an engine swap with mine? Will my snowblower fit on this newer frame? My blower uses the pulley on the front of the engine, so that will get swapped over. Should I just unbolt the back halves of each tractor at the bevel gear box and swap those? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Changing the whole rear end from BGB back is the easiest. The filters were located differently, but the units are interchangable otherwise. Changing the whole rear is a fairly straight-forward job, just takes a little time.

John, how handy are you? The dealer sounds like he is trying to scare you into having them do the work. These tractors are quite simple. Changing an axle tube is not that difficult but it requires disassembly of the whole transaxle. The diagrams are available on this site. Any of the large frame tractors with a Sundstand hydro (from 1974 on) will interchange with your tractor.

Note that there are different axles/tubes for that tractor. You need to disasssemble the transaxle to determine which axle/axle tube is used in your tractor.