Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Clone Tractor

Simplicity85

Hey Guys I was wondering if this would be possible. If I got a simplicity baron and cloned it to be a JC Penney 494 tractor would it work? Wonder who would fall for it:D?

Jace I think a clone would be neat,as long as you identify it as a clone and do not try to pass it off as the real deal. That could get a fellow shot...or worse! As far as who would fall for it...that depends on the quality of the job done,but a knowledgeable tractor guy likely would spot even a good fake pretty quick,and they would sure let you know it too! Larry

Simpleton7016
I am actually thinking of doing something similar. I just bought the (new to me) 1975 JC penney....in pieces. I was thinking of simply putting the hood and seat pan on my 7016 for a while so that I can restore the frame of the original....but I don't know what to do about decals when it comes time for the hood and seat pan....

I missed a 7014 Baron Saturday at an auction. Complete tractor, head was off and laying on top of the engine, carb and air cleaner laying on the seat, flat tire, etc. But I didn't want to stand in 9 degree weather for an hour or more til it sold.B) Maybe next time....

Almost for a joke, several years ago, we painted a John Deere Model B tractor Farmall red. It made a nice looking John Farmall. It took as much work as doing it right, but the owner said he would rather drag a Farmall than own a John Deere. It went to a couple of shows, before he was asked not to bring it anymore until it was the proper color. He then painted it in a color combo of some state's road equipment, still nowhere near green, and I suppose it is still that color, unless someone else bought and repainted it.

quote:
Originally posted by Simpleton7016
I am actually thinking of doing something similar. I just bought the (new to me) 1975 JC penney....in pieces. I was thinking of simply putting the hood and seat pan on my 7016 for a while so that I can restore the frame of the original....but I don't know what to do about decals when it comes time for the hood and seat pan....
Contact Corey at the link below. He has made every decal that I have wanted. He lives in Stringer and does excellent work. http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/pierce2160

I tried to get into my building that has my Jcpenny 494 with the sweepster that you mentioned. Unfortunately the door is frozen shut so I couldn't get to it. I wanted to get some close-up pics of some of the decals. The lettering on a lot of the smaller decals are black background with yellow lettering so they are unique to the Jcpenny. The decals for the hood and fenders do not look very difficult to reproduce. I will keep trying to get into the building and get some pics. Dan

quote:
Originally posted by Zach
Besides paint and decals whats different about the jc penny that makes it so special. Isn't it just a yellow and black RBT?
Yes, it is nothing more than a 1975 Simplicity tractor with a 13hp Briggs engine and they only came with the shuttle transmission. I was able to get my building open and took some pics!

[img]/club2/attach/PeppyDan/P4040014.JPG[/img]
I'm not quite sure what the dash decal looked like since mine was apparently changed at some point in its life. Dan

If it's your tractor you can do anything you want with it. The problem would be if you tried to sell it representing it as A J.C. Penney 494cc and the buyer found out that it wasn't then it becomes illegal and fraud.

quote:
Originally posted by Simplicity85
Hey Guys I was wondering if this would be possible. If I got a simplicity baron and cloned it to be a JC Penney 494 tractor would it work? Wonder who would fall for it:D?
You asked, I explained. This site is based on trust not fooling people.

quote:
Originally posted by Zach
Besides paint and decals whats different adout the jc penny that makes it so special. Isnt it just a yellow and black RBT?
What's different? A NAME and COLOR, I would rather be driving a tractor that had Simplicity on the side than JC Penney. Not to mention I would very much be PO'd to find out I was scammed by somebody painting a tractor a different color to represent a different brand. The same goes for if I found out somebody painted a JC Penney to represent a Simplicity. Not to mention like UCD said you could end up with a fraud case.

quote:
Dan whats that red thing next to it?
That is a homemade tractor built in the 60's my my dads first cousin who used dads homemade tractor (Peppy) as a pattern. Sorry I'm not at my computer so I can't add any pics of it. Dan

quote:
Originally posted by UCD
quote:
You asked, I explained. This site is based on trust not fooling people.
Ok you win. Sorry

So what's the difference between cloning a J.C. Penny from a Simplicity and cloning an Allis Chalmers from a Simplicity or vice-versa like so many of us do? Are J.C. Penny, Wards, or Homelite tractors worth more than a Simplicity or AC? These tractors are like M1 Garrand rifles or 1911A1 military pistols, or race cars, they've been changed so much during use that to find an original unmolested, all numbers matching specimen is a rare occurrence. If I claimed to have a such a tractor, I would be DARNED sure it was what I claimed it to be, otherwise who cares as long as it has the Allis Chalmers/Simplicity lineage.

The question was asked in a hypothetical context. Jace wouldn't try to fool a soul. Even if he did make a clone, he would tell those who were fooled and congratulate those who nit picked deep enough to discover that it wasn't a true JCP. As for your question about JC penny tractors Jace....this one was a JC Penney...some of you may recognize it....:D

But obviously....it's not a Simplicity made JCP

I'm proud to own a homelight and 2 1/2 squire 9's. the pride of just to able to show people that have never seen one. I have for got all about the JCP's tractors. it nice to see the our tractor co. made there own and other co. tractors just shows the power, ruggedness, and how these tractors could sell. mine are the real deal. that's why I'm prod to own these purebred mutts. and even tho I don't have a JCP tractor I will look for one but will never clone. by the way your refrigerator, stove, washer, dryer, and your dish washer my have been made by it's competitor. just food for thought.

Robert_Rainwater
My brother has a 494 13 hp J.C. Penney, with the original owner's manual,he had decals made here in MO. somewhere, I can check that out if interested. Robert

Hey all....I found this JC Penny in a bunch of weeds behind some guys house. I thought it was a poorly restored AC from the street

Also a picture of the dash.

ROB: your bro doesn't have the receipt for it from jcp dose he. I would like to see more on this tractor like marketing and the first couple of pages of the owners man. jfrank1962: looks just like my 7010, cool find. but I never get that lucky.