Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Help with engine that dies after getting hot

mhelton

I have a SunRunner that I bought a couple of years ago. It has saddle gas tanks mounted below the engine and a vacuum fuel pump. After running for a while, the engine quits. I can't figure out if I'm loosing vacuum for the fuel pump or if I have a flaky ignition. You guys got any ideas?

When it stops and is still hot check for spark. also could unhook fuel line and see if still pumping fuel (CAREFULLY) could be a bad fuel pump but try these tests as soon as it dies.

what engine is it? Does the engine just die all at once or does it spit and sputter before it dies? I haven't heard of a fuel pump that quit working like that. You could have a small hole in a gas line and it's sucking air. It could be a condenser also.

make sure both tanks are full and vents ok in caps. also ignition module {magnetron} is likley the problem it can have problems after 15 min or more from heat causing restart or no start until cooled off this machine had problems on side hill mowing if the up hill side tank was lo on fuel{} tuck

Do you have three hoses on your fuel pump? If the vacuum line is punctured, it softens when warmed and opens slowing down fuel pump supply.