Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wonder boy question

xenon172

A friend of mine is looking at a 1957 Wonder boy that he saw in Craigslist. According to the seller the Simplicity logo and Wonder boy were painted on and now decals are used for restorations. The pictures I have seen on here have a chrome Simplicity logo but they are probably later models. Is the sellers information correct?

The early wonderboys with joy stick steering had chrome pieces on them. The later ones with steering wheels were painted. I have a 400 575 and a wards.Just sold a 64 model last year. They are fun to drive. Bob

The early models after the chrome emblems were water transfer decals that appeared to be paint when old or aged . I sold these models new . {} tuck

My Wonderboy had "Wonderboy" across the back in about 3/4" white block letters and "Simplicity" on both sides in white. Also looking at "What's new in 57" its shows white lettering for the Simplicity on the sides. Also on the repair manaul (Tp_100_3562_00_XX_S.pdf) I down from Simpicity has hand written on the cover 086 Decals, Part# 153099 Simplicity, Part# 121102 Wonderboy.

The seller is correct, the first year of Wonderboys was 1957 and they had white decals. The chrome emblems did not start until 1958. The engine should be a 4hp Chilton. If it does still have a running Chilton, I think that alone is a rare collector item. Hope this helps, Dan

I'm pretty sure the Wonderboy posted on Craigslist is mine. As for right now it's sold. The guy is supposed to come pick it up Sunday. As Cougar mentioned, all pictures I have found of the 57 had white block letters across the back and what looked like painted cursive script on the sides. Water decals certainly make sense - the painted on concept was a guess I had. I assumed they didn't use stickers yet in 57. There is even a part number for the decals in the original manual and all the sheetmetal is free of holes indicating there was never an emblem there. I do have the original 4 hp Clinton in a box. It's partially disassembled, a little crusty and has no compression - but it's there.