Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Differential Dilemma

Glen112

I took advantage of a midwinter thaw yesterday to get some of the packed snow and ice off of my driveway. My Big Ten and its blade were up to the challenge, at least for a while. Twice during my play session, after backing off the edge of the driveway to turn around, the Big Ten decided to do a deep six. It would not move forward or back. I pushed it back onto the driveway and up the slight grade into the garage. Both times, after pushing it back into the garage :(, it suddenly started working again :). I finished my task, but was quite cautioussm02. On both occasions, the axle tube was turning, but the wheels were not. At that point I was seeing $$$. Last night, I printed all the pertinent pages from the "B" Series manual and the Large Frame manual. I spent my lunch hour today searching the archives under keyword "differential". Boy, I love this site! I had a similar problem last summer and knew about taking the side slack out of the system by moving the left lock collar closer to the transmission. Then it dawned on me 4i. Both times when I backed off the edge of the driveway, the tractor was on a slope, which shifted the weight of the tractor to the left rear. I figured this pulled the right hub gear out of the differential and left differential gear past the pinion gears so it also was not driven. Got home tonight and headed to the back shed to confirm my theory, that the left locking collar had come loose and allowed the shaft to slip. It was on tight with no space between it and the transmission ngr2. I knew something was causing the gears to not engage the axle. I took the wheel weight off the right rear wheel, grabbed the right locking collar and pulled it off in my hand. Bingo, I found the problem sm01. I jacked up the back end and was able to pull the right rear wheel out about an inch before it hung up on a ridge on the shaft, certainly enough to disengage the drive gears!!!!!! I checked the right hub gear and found it worn from years of use, but no broken teeth. I was lucky it slipped as far as it did and did not grind along the edge of the gears. The moral of this story.... This site, its members, the archives, and the repair manuals are priceless when it comes to troubleshooting problems with our toys! Glen

I have the same problem right now and if you did not find it out before I would have told you to look at the lock collar first as well as the dif to see if there was any thing broke or lack of lube.

quote:
Originally posted by Glen112
The moral of this story.... This site, its members, the archives, and the repair manuals are priceless when it comes to troubleshooting problems with our toys! Glen
thanks glen :) i agree, a big thumbs up for all this club offers ^. i am having the same promblem with one of my old landlords. mine just stops no spinning when i am pushing heavy snow or trying to climb a snow mound . luckly i have lots of parts available on hand for mine. i might just roll another rear half up and change it out.

One for the memory bank on the right wheel hub on old tractors with the diff gear with roll pins that hold gear on shear and you lose drive. you can repair hub by prying off the gear and removing pin parts in gear reinstall gear on hub index clean holes between ones with broken pins in hub drill new holes through the gear drive in new pins . big savings over a new gear if you can find 1 {} tuck

If it is the first time it has broken, the pin remains can be driven in farther enough to allow new pins to be inserted. I found that out after trying to remove them. Much easier way to get it done as long as you don't make a regular deal of it.|)

I just use a custom 5lbs slide hammer with a wood screw attached. that's how I change the roil pins. in a pinch I have the same results with a vice grips with a wood screw and a hammer.

well I had a look at mine and there is more to fix then just moving the lock caller and axle I think maybe I tore out the key way in the dif. well I guess I will have to change out the rear ends and put the fixed original rear end that I cracked the tube on back in. or I just might put one in from a 700 or 7000 stronger. it's in the air right now