Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Lost Dipstick?

Vinnie_A

The dipstick on my Sim 3416H broke and ended up in the bottom of the oil pan. Would anyone know the length of this one was and if one from a Sim 3414 be the same length? I know it is definitely longer than my Sim 3410. Thank in advance

Vinnie, I have a 3416H in the garage and just went and measured. I measured from the seal inside the cap, which is effectively from the end of the fill tube. The overall length is exactly 5 inches and the center of the full mark is 3-1/4 inches. Darn exciting stuff.:D Good luck Todd

I just found a pink lipstick under the seat of my truck.:O Just kidding.^ I measured my dipstick and it is 16 1/4 from bottom of the plug to end of dipstick. Hope this helps.

did you get the old one out ?. that happened to me last summer. loosen up the block/oil pan bolts and slide the motor enough to get a magnet in there to retrieve the dipstick.

That is the length of the dipstick in my 16 Hp engine. I guess that maybe your engines have a different dipstick, sounds like it screws into the bottom down near the oil pan like the one on my 713S. My 16 Hp is from a 7116H originally and has a long tube for the dipstick. Sorry, I was thinking a 16 Hp was a 16 Hp. Guess I was wrong. Oh, well, not the first time. :D

Simpleton7016
[url]http://www.tools-plus.com/ullman-16.html?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=froogle&utm_term=ULL16[/url] [img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/toolsplus_2036_160465879.jpg[/img]
...and if that doesn't work, you can drive down to your local scrap yard and line up your dipstick hole with one of these: [url]http://www.genscoequip.com/products/Magnets[/url]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/Magnets-header.jpg[/img]

I would go in and get the broken dipstick out. Mine did the same thing on my 3416H and took out the governor gear. I didn't now it broke off and checked it before I used it. I am trying to say it happened that fast. Do your self a favor get the old piece out. I been there and well it wasn't pretty. Also 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 used same type dipstick on same type engine as long as it was mounted on the side of the block. I guess one off a simplicity with the same oil pan would be the best way to go. I purchased a new one for my from Briggs. I also had to buy a lot of other parts to repair all the damage.

Thanks for all your help guys.I have used this tractor after the dipstick dropped down into the oil pan. Is there still a danger of this getting sucked up and damaging the engine as Nicks did.Perry,you said you loosened the oil pan bolts and slid the motor,I assume you slid it side ways since it wouldn't move forward with the drive shaft still bolted to the engine. Thanks again

correction - do not slide the engine. ok, if i remember , here is what i think i did. take out the bolts that go threw the block into the pan. then put a jack with a block of wood under the starter/generator and jack up the one side. jack it up slow and try not to rip the pan gasket. use a spatula-scrapper if the gasket hangs up on either the block or pan. most likely it will stay on the oilpan. then just jack it up enough to sneak a long magnet in there. 1/2" to a 1" high being carfefull not too bind up the driveshaft couplers. it took me all of about 15 min to do the job.

One time when installing valves I dropped the keeper through the oiling hole. All I had to do was drain the oil and fish a magnet around a little, going in through the drain hole, no need to remove anything major or break any gaskets. Also it is VERY RISKY to run the engine with loose parts in your pan. If it slid around just right the stick could jam between the dipper and the pan or get caught in the dipper and worst case scenerio, ruin the whole engine.

Thanks guys,I had no idea the damage this could create.I used the tractor like this all fall with my leaf vac, I guess I was lucky nothing happened. I will remove the broken dipstick before I start the tractor.Thank you for your help!