Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC716 early -vs- late

OrangeMetalGuy

OrangeMetalGuy
Hi, is the muffler in the same place on the late model 716's as on the early ones... I have an early model but with a late-model hood. Currently the lights are not installed. Looking at it, that muffler sure looks close to the one headlight.. wondering if clearance will be a problem?

The muffler exits a the same location on both early and late 716's and all other 3300, 3400, 700, & 7000 series tractors. The muffler is also the same on both Kohler and Briggs engines but the elbow pipe fitting are different. The 900/7100 series tractor use a completely different muffler. Dan

The muffler will be close. I swapped a briggs 16hp into a 718. Had to loosen the muffler, and elbow, and slightly reposition to get it to clear. I may have had to bend the clamp bracket also.

Had a 712H and melted a good set of bulb contacts(yes,the solder joints let go from the heat). I would recommend a wrap of header tape to insure your eyes of the tractor don't get scorched. This will also keep paint on the hood from discoloring due to the heat. Just wrap the hi-heat tape around the entire muffler can and make sure it is tight. If you use the heat deflector, trial fit before you finalize the wrap. Good luck...

OrangeMetalGuy
Great idea about the heat tape, hadn't thought of that. Maybe that's why I currently have no sockets... melt.... melt...