Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Cone Clutch Shaft repair?

GregB

I'm trying to help out my father in-law. His 7116 has scored up the shaft again :O. Three years ago the bearing siezed up on him and scored the shaft. He filled the scoring in with JD Weld, with the engine running filed and polished the shaft round. He replaced the Bearing assembly and the Cone clutch lining. Well It has happened again. I realize he may have not got the shaft completely round, but wonder why it was fine for 20 years or so, then failed twice in three years. Any ideas what else to do besides replacing the shaft, new bearing assembly, new cone clutch, and spring carriers? I'll check the adjustment gap, after intallation, any other watch outs?

I lost two of the bearings in just a few years. I found out that the washers that hold the spring were wobbled out the first time a bearing died and let the spring push sideways on the replacement bearing causing it to fail and spin the thin metal inner sleeve on the shaft causing damage to the BGB shaft. I bought a whole new assembly from ebay and that is when I found out about the washers not fitting properly. It has worked fine since I have replaced the centering washers and a new bearing. Also, if you have nothing attached to the clutch, you should leave it engaged so that everything spins together and nothing can wear. The bearing only spins when the clutch is disengaged.

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
Greg, you could raz him about not having to deal with this problem if he had a FDT instead of his RBT:O;):D
quote:
Originally posted by Roy
FDT PTO's are much simpler to work on and use. :)
Yeah yeah yeah....YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWnnnnnnnnnn:p

He started out with a 725 from new, traded that on an early 7016, then moved up to the 7116H, with hydro lift. He actually has two now. His original and his "new" one. In his collection though he does have a nicely restored early B-10, a Spring field, a JD 110, a gibson, and who knows what else. He has every tractor he looked at when he built his house then moved in and needed a garden tractor. The only one he is missing is a Wheelhorse 754. Only made that a year or two so finding one has been difficult for him. Rod, thanks for the tip about the spring carriers, and leaving it engaged all the time, if you do not have an implement on the PTO.