Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Carb Adjustment?

KenW

Started tilling today with my Simp 725 Briggs Model 19 8.25 hp. While getting the trac ready last week I noticed it would run for a while then starve for fuel. Readjusted the float to be horizontal when upside down. Worked fine then went in for lunch. Camer back and it, after a while would bog down at high rpns. Adjusted high speed needle but would only do higher rpms if the choke was on half way. Also noticed fuel leakage where the bottom half of the carb holding the float connects to the carb body. Points and condenser are new and seem to be opening fine. Thoughts??? Thanks Ken Williams

Well first what you should do is take the carb. out and apart. Inspect the needle that sits on the float. If the tip of the needle feels rubbery and the edges look worn then you have a bad needle and too much fuel is seeping between the seat and the needle. If the needle seems to be in good shape take your high and low speed needles out. Get some carb. and choke cleaner and give it a good spray in the orfeses where the needles sit in. Then when your done try it again. If it still insists on stalling or reving up to high, check your governor. That could be another possibility. Next question, how is your compression because if that is not optimum to what it is suppose to be then you may have stuck your bad rings. But i wouldn't really worry about that just yet. Mabe your valves might be shot, whats the year of the engine? If you put new points and a condensor in, then your spark should be good, so i would eliminate that problem, unless your spark plug is not new, then i would consider putting a new one in, make sure you gap it. Those should be your only problems as far as the carb. good luck and i hope she runs nice for you, hope my suggestion wasen't too much to take in.