Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What to look for when buying a tractor?

Bluestreak

I'm headed out of town on Friday to buy a 64 landlord. Current owner says it runs (good) but it won't move. Now, I know to check the differential first as that's more likely to go out than the transmission it's self. I've had this problem before on my Big Ten. I'm still learning all about these tractors and I have a few questions. With that in mind, what other things should I look for? How do I know if a BGB is good? Do I wiggle something? Any other parts that I should check for? I can turn a simple wrench, but I don't know much about engines or even how to clean a carb. These things I will learn eventually. What I want to avoid with this tractor are items that are complex. I'm more of a simple guy. Thanks for any and all suggestions. Chad

The bevel gear box can be checked by turning the engine over and look under the seat to see if the drive pulley is moving. You can also pull the shaft back and forth to see any end play. It may turn over easier with the spark plug removed. jh

You also want to see how much back lash the 2 gears have. To do this just lift up the seat deck and grab hold of one of the pullys on either side of the bgb and rock it side to side.

SmilinSam wrote a great post about what to look for when buying a tractor - BUT I've searched for it and can't find it. I figured it would be a "sticky" but I guess not. Maybe another memember knows where it's located.

Hey Bill it was in the articles section under the resources tab. Here ya go Chad this will help you a great deal. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/articles/sam_used_check.htm

quote:
Originally posted by acfarmer
The first thing I can think of would be the wife's stash of cash.
:D We actually stash in the same place so I'm good there. Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'll take pictures tomorrow and post in show and tell when I get back. Chad

I look for a machine with enough parts still attached to produce the possibility of eventually running, "someday".:O:D I currently only have three that are waiting for "someday" to come.:(