Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SimpleMan

#30 oil in an OHC?

SimpleMan
Is it okay to use straight #30 oil in a Kohler OHC? I'm refering to summer usage only. I know the owners manual doesn't recomend it...but what would it hurt? I have been running 10w30 till now, but am having trouble with oil consumption. Figured this may lessen the problem. At any rate, any suggestions are welcome. Thanks. GordU

Al
Hi, Not recommended. Does it smoke? [Note smoking is illegal if it is not 21 years old] Seriously, is the oil coming in the carb through the crankcase breather? Can you see it there? Has anyone checked the crankcase vacuum? Does it stay at least 10" of water? Does it foul plugs? How much compression? How much oil does it use in 4 hours of hard use? How many hours does it have on it? Even the CHs sometimes need up to 80 hours of break in to get the rings to seat and quit using oil. That is because they make the cylinders so hard and the hard chrome rings don't get seated so quickly and also don't wear out as quickly. Let us know what is happening and we'll try to see if we can help you. I wrote a post on oil a few months ago, I don't remember when. It may be in the service library now. Good luck, AL

SimpleMan
I have about 100 hours on the engine, based on an hour meter I installed. It does smoke a bit at startup, but I don't notice anything after that.As far as oil comsumption is concerned I find that the oil level goes down to about half way between the full and add marks on the dipstick, after about 5-6 hours of heavy use. I have not checked compression in a while....will do it next week. Will also check the plugs. By the way ( I'm on something of a major learning curve here), where is this crankcase breather located? Am I correct that I should not see oil coming through it? I just don't feel like spending a lot of time looking at the wrong thing. Thanks again for the help. GordU p.s. to all those involved; excellent website!