Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler coil

joshuaareed

I believe I was chatting with Rod or Roy and either one stated that I can use an automotive coil on my K201 Kohler motor on my 7112. I just happen to have a spare auto coil on hand and wanted to use it. If anyone can shed some light on this subject I would appreciate it. I remember something said about using resistors or something like that.Thanks

Josh, An automotive coil can be used. But, if it doesn't have an internal resistor built-in you will have to use an external resistor. The purpose of the resistor is cut the voltage after the engine has started to prolong point life. Chrysler products used external resistor for years. Also, I think the resistor was wired so that it was out of the "start" circuit but in the "run" circuit. Coil internal resistors have low resistance when cold and high resistance after they have warmed up. Someone else may be able to explain this more clearly.

Basically a car uses a coil designed for 6 volts operating voltage, then makes it operate properly on 12 volts by putting a ballast resistor in series with the coil. When starting that resistor is bypassed allowing the coil to make twice the spark that it would with the resistor hooked up. When the engine starts and the key is released to the run position, the ballast resistor is hooked up to prevent drawing so much current across the points and keep the coil cool. Without a ballast resistor, you will burn points more quickly, and the coil may not last long.

Thanks for all of your help, it seems just easier to go buy a kohler coil, does any one know the part # for a coil for a K301 kohler 12hp.Thanks all.