Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

opinion wanted

dmsmitty2004

Hello, Just bought a 918 Agco Allis this afternoon. was a birthday present for me. Dad and I went and looked at it this afternoon. we weren't prepared to haul it today, so we are going back Monday evening. Will post pictures then. The price was just right, because I am getting a load of attachments with it, and it runs strong. Anyway, my question is the steering on it is very hard to steer to the left. it does not make a full turn to the left, but just a couple degrees. I was wondering if there was an idea you guys have to check into. I didn't play with it much. Since it hasn't been used much in the last year or so, I'm guessing just needs a good greasing or is there something else I should look into? I figured someone might have something else to check. because it steers to the right just fine. the steering seems nice and tight. Its not super hard, but something just didn't quite add up to me. Who knows I could just be plum crazy. I just figured I would ask. The bgb was rebuilt within the last couple years and all is good there. hydraulic lift is a little sticky, figuring it might need a good workout. Anyway sorry for the long winded speech, but I thought I would ask for a general opinion on what I should do. I'm just too excited to have it. Never found one in this good of shape, and with the hydraulics. Thanks, David

Others can offer some more indepth information but it's a common problem for these style large frame tractors to seize the steering up from lack of lubrication while sitting. A good cleaning and lubrication should restore your find to working order.

mendon-chalmers
Hello jack the front end off the ground & hit the spindles down before you grease so the grease goes to the bottom, but make sure there is no gaulding going on. Best to take apart & clean.

A lot of it is in the steering grears under the battery, they need a lot of lub. also It might have slipped a cog in the steering gears for the turning.

David, the responses above all assume that this 918 does NOT have power steering. If it does then it is a problem with hydraulics/cylinder...you did say the lift was sticky also?

quote:
Originally posted by MikeES
David, the responses above all assume that this 918 does NOT have power steering. If it does then it is a problem with hydraulics/cylinder...you did say the lift was sticky also?
Mike, thanks for the response. I do not have it in front of me right now, I haven't looked things over yet. I didnt have a trailer to haul it home, and I've too much on my plate to pick up today. I am going to get it tomorrow and will take a quick look. Yes, The lift to me seemed a little on the sticky side, but I'm figuring little use the fluids need circulated. And who knows when all the fluids were changed. The guy did say it needs an oil change for sure. I will ask him tomorrow as i didnt think to, as to if he ever changed transmission fluid and so on. I know nothing of the 900 series. Did they even put power steering on the 917 & up? Was it an option, or a standard thing? I am just guessing it does not have power steering. If so how is it driven. is the power steering coming from the hydraulics on the transmission? I guess I'm sitting here completely confused. I am also going on the assumption it does not have power steering. Maybe someone can pitch in and shed light on this. Maybe I'm in for a wake-up call. Soon as I get it home tomorrow, I will take a look as to what I have. Thanks, for everyone responses, they have helped me get an idea as to my plan of attack, but its coming home and going straight to work. This is why I love this site. Multiple opinions are usually needed, when I tear into something.

David, It is doubtful you have power steering. Surely you'd have noticed the hydraulic cylinder on the steering arm between the left running board and the steering spindle. The most common cause of hard steering is lack of lubrication in the bushings on the bottom of the steering wheel shaft. The ideal fix is to remove the whole steering gear and shaft from the tractor, take it apart, clean and shine everything up, grease it, and put it back in. However, the hydraulic lift cylinder is in the way and makes this relatively simple job much more complicated. The shortcut is to remove the battery for access to the shaft bushings, jack the front of the tractor up and support it so you can turn the front wheels and flush the bushings out with your favorite penetrating oil while turning the steering wheel back and forth. Once it seems you have flushed out all the rust and crud you're going to and the steering seems smooth and easy, squirt your favorite oil in the same way until you're convinced you have at least wet the bushings and shaft. I use synthetic gear lube because it flows very well and sticks better than engine oil. This method will not last as long as tearing it apart and greasing it, but if you do this whenever you need to remove the battery and or gas tank anyway, it will keep you going. There is a gear lash adjustment and alignment marks on the sector gear and pinion, but that is rarely the problem with hard steering. The bushing around the steering shaft where the shaft goes through the dash may need a few drops of oil as well. Of course, servicing the spindles will also help, but the steering shaft bushing is normally the main cause of hard steering on these tractors. This is my method, use at your own risk. I hope this helps. Darryl

WHOOPS, brain fart there earlier. got to thinking back. I'm pretty sure this does not have power steering. because there is not a hydraulic cylinder running to the axle. just a normal solid tire rod. Like Mike asked, I think my problem with the hydraulic lift is a combo of me not being used to it, and also old fluid. Am figuring on changing all fluids when I get it, for safety, or at least checking the hydro fluid.