Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

tiller attachment

linkster

Hi, I'm rebuilding an older tiller attachment (the one with a single curved sheild) and after taking off the tines. there is a sheild on the shaft to protect bearing I guessing. How do you remove this ? And is a replacement avaible if cut off? I want to put new bearings in it, this attachment was froze-up solid when I got. This is my time here in the fourm.

Did rebuilt one a few years back and can't recall any shield. Looking in my manual looks like the bearing is housed in a 2 piece bearing flange held on with 3 bolts. There is a locking collar on each side. Think you take them off first, buff the set scew marks out of the shaft then you can either pull the shaft or split the housing.

Linkster, Just a few days ago I was at the very point you are at now. First off, the best thing you can do, if you have not done so already, is to go into the search area of this site and search out the tillers graphics page. All of the parts are right there to see how they go together. And man-o-man did that help me. I found a collar that slides onto the shaft to hold that shaft at a certain position. The bearings are actually held in a bearing "carrier" that is bolted to the tiller housing. The tiller housing must be split to remove that carrier housing to get the bearings out.The collar I mentioned above is set up against the bearings to hold the shaft at a given point. That collar has a hex head set screw to remove before attempting to remove that collar. Now here is what caught me up and it took me a while to figure out. I'm sure for everyone else it's nothing new, but to me it was very new. The bearing has a collar that protrudes out toward the "set collar". That bearings collar is attached to the center of the bearing and has a slightly larger side on one side of the bearing. At first I thought the bearing was worn on one side. Like I said this is the first one of these things I have seen. Soooo, after removing the set screw, grab the "set collar" with some large pliers and turn it counter clockwise as if unscrewing it. That might release it from the "bearing collar". Oh, and when you purchase new bearings, the "set collar" will come with the bearing. I'm sure someone with a heck of a lot more knowledge than me will get in here pretty quick and make any corrections that need to be made. Good luck and keep us posted as to your progress.

Here is a link to the bearings that you need. The tiller that you have is a non relube type bearing. The price is very good. I have used these before and they work fine. http://www.thebigbearingstore.com/servlet/the-318/SB206-dsh-18-1-dsh-1-fdsh-8%22-Insert-Bearing/Detail http://www.thebigbearingstore.com/