Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity garden tiller

ACGuy

I'm new here--hello: I've acquired an old Simplicity garden tiller and have no idea how to identify it. I'm hoping someone here can help. It has 24" wide tines, a 4-horse Briggs & Stratton engine that has points, and a reverser. It only says "Roticul" on the side of the tiller, and there is no model designation decal at all. Inside the engine support box is a chrome decal with some numbers--the serial #? I know this isn't much to go on, but I'm hoping someone is familiar with this model or can decode the serial #. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

There were many models of roticuls over the years. I believe the silver tag should have the mfg # on it. That is basically your model ID number. Can you post that number?

I saw one of those years ago at a garage sale, nice machines. You can get the date code off the engine, to get you close to the age of it.

According to the published engine list, there were four 4HP model "Roticul's" produced, M/N 990233, 255, 343 and 360. You can try to download manuals off the Simplicity web site on the club's home page.

Awesome, BLT! Thank you so much! I thought the thing was missing some sheetmetal until I saw the sketches. These days tillers have the tines covered and have guards everywhere to protect us from common sense...chuckle. This is what I love about these old machines--the manufacturer assumed (correctly) that 99% of the operators knew enough to keep their feet and fingers away from rotating or dangerous parts. As Willie Shakespeare wrote: "kill all the lawyers!" By the way, I also revere Ronald Reagan and his philosophy and views. I feel at home here already. Thanks again.

quote:
Originally posted by ACGuy
As Willie Shakespeare wrote: "kill all the lawyers!" By the way, I also revere Ronald Reagan and his philosophy and views. I feel at home here already.
Welcome. There's all kinds here, probably even some lawyers! :O And speaking for any Democrats here, we don't mind if you hang around either. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
i have one too and i couldnt find the tag either... the motor number is... 81302-943541-6001110 that is in Model-type-code format. Can anyone tell me which mfg's # is closest to my motor? Thanks. EDIT: Was looking around and found this under the new 1959 simplicity section...

I circled the one that it looks like. now all i need to find is that mfg. # B) but i looked and tried the ones BLT gave, but none are mine. sm02

• 2 weeks later...
Hi again, fellows. Just wanted to say I had to replace the original engine on the tiller because it was oiling--bad. I bought a new B&S 5.5hp OHV to power it until I can rebuild the 4-horser. The main thing is, I used the tiller for the first time today, and I was simply amazed. I have red clay, which is a difficult ground to work. That tiller tore into it with ease! I don't know if it's the tine design or balance of the tiller or what, but I was following that thing ankle-deep in red dirt! The new tillers just claw and jump around in that hardpan, but the old Simplicity just laughed at it. My brother was watching (he has a fairly new Sears tiller) and he could only shake his head. So...another old Simplicity lives and is doing what it's supposed to be doing--tearing up soil for a garden. I plan to restore it over next winter and make it look as good as it works. Bravo, Simplicity!

Hello, fellow red clay gardener! Those boys in the midwest have no idea what red clay gardening is like, with their topsoil being a couple of feet deep. Down here in Alabama the good dirt is like concrete when dry, and swamp-like when wet. Walk across a wet garden and gain weight and inches in a few steps. I do not have a Simplicity tiller, but from the looks of yours, you can play gardening in much the same way as I do with my Merry tiller. If you plant the rows close enough, the veggie plants will kill out the weeds, saving you a little time in the garden. You can remove the outside tines from the machine and plant your rows close enough to plow them at least once before they grow too large. Such makes the tiller jump, as the outside tines fill in the gaps between the inner tines, making it dig more smoothly for the operator.

Hello, MrSteele! Yes, red dirt is indeed a hard taskmaster...chuckle. I'm in North Carolina where the winters aren't as mild as Alabama. If we get a soaking rain or snow in February and it rains again or stays cold, it can be April or May before the ground can be properly worked! If you work it too wet, all you get is clods as hard as bricks. Too dry, and it laughs at a plow or a tiller. But the biggest sin is running over it when it's wet. It compacts and when it dries out it's as hard as adobe. The past few years I've been blowing all my leaves down into the garden and turning them in with a disc plow. This has helped a lot. Lately my biggest gardening headache has been deer--we're overrun with them! The idiot politicians turned loose coyotes to control the deer population, but as anyone with common sense would know, the coyotes have only resulted in a lot of pets getting killed as the deer continue to multiply. We need a year-round hunting season on them, but God forbid the politicians do anything sensible! Nice to meet a fellow clay gardener!

Can't tell for sure in the little picture but the tines look the same as the tractor tillers. Not sure where the name 'Bolo Tine" came from, used to think it was a Troybuilt thing but after finding my first Simplicity tiller I believe the design goes back before Troybuilt came into being. have had 3-4 other tillers with different tines and have never gotten the same fine results.