Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

ignition timg also crank to cam

debshirl

tried to set timing on my 230000 briggs.books that i have shows using a timing light or a contiuity light to set timing have tried several times cant seem to get it right put engine in frame runs at low idle but back fires timing seems slow to me.any suggestions? i think maybe i have crank to cam timing off 1 tooth making ignition way off does any one have a good picture of marks on cam and crank or procedure on how to install correctly?

If your flywheel key is good and the points are set to .020" gap and the plug is fresh and gapped right, the timing shouldn't be an issue. I agree, sounds like carb. Backfire usually means lean mix. Your idle may be slow too.

I'm thinking it was kohler that recommended a timing light. How far was this engine torn down? If you have the later style coil like on the 243431 then if your coil bracket was removed it may need adjusting.

i have never timed a briggs. the kohlers you can use a light on. depending on engine wear i have seen the kohlers timeing set with the points ranging from 14 to 24.

quote:
Originally posted by debshirl
tried to set timing on my 230000 briggs.books that i have shows using a timing light or a contiuity light to set timing have tried several times cant seem to get it right put engine in frame runs at low idle but back fires timing seems slow to me.any suggestions? i think maybe i have crank to cam timing off 1 tooth making ignition way off does any one have a good picture of marks on cam and crank or procedure on how to install correctly?
Not sure on a 23000 but on the 32's there are 2 cast in arrows. One on the flywheel magnet, and one on the coil bracket (visible with coil removed). It's in the old briggs repair manual. With points @ .020 the arrows should be aligned the moment the points open. Roll the crank a few times to get a good reading. I use a multimeter with the beep feature on. Adjust by sliding the coil bracket so the arrows align....gotta pull the flywheel if adjustment is needed. Hope this helps Brent