Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4041 engine removal ?

Time1992

Started doing the tear down on my 4041 so I can do a cleaning and paint job. My question is where is the best point to attach the cherry picker to the engine to lift it out ( cant lift it alone.) I also am curious about the engine weight , I want to build a waist high cart to put it on so I can work on it. Thanks, Tim

Generally opposed piston engines have lifting brackets secured into the intake manifold as is a true vertical lifting position. As for weight, best guess would be 140-160 pounds.

I always use two Ancra motorcycle tie downs, one around rear pully & one around the front crankshaft. This allows easy ajustment to bring it out level & more freeplay to move side to side & front to rear. Weighs about 150 lbs. I have lifted them out by hand but makes my back hurt for some days. StanD

I used nylon tie down straps looped around the intake/exhaust manifold, one on each side, looped under and around where it bolts to the block. I connected these to my chain hoist and up it went. The tie downs allowed me to adjust the engine left and right as I lifted it. I've moved it by hand since its been out, but StanDs right, it doesn't do your back much good!

I just pulled the engine from my 4041 and we used a old V belt from a mower deck. Tossed each end around the crank front and rear, and then hooked to the cherry picker. NoRM