Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Baking freshly-painted parts

OrangeMetalGuy

OrangeMetalGuy
Does anyone 'bake' freshly painted parts to get the paint to adhere better? I've been priming and painting small parts, then setting them on top of my cast-iron radiators to try to bake on the finish. Just wondering what others are doing.

In commercial environments baking is the norm. In my car shop the booth bakes at 160 degrees after every painting session for 15 minutes. For single-stage paints, such as we use(no clearcoat) the baking is especially useful for acceleration. When coated thick or where there are runs (which we all do sometimesm00) it can sometimes save the runs or at least allow them to be dealt with a lot sooner. Otherwise the runs can take up to a month to dry and end up wrinkled/shrunk. It is important to note that you DO NOT want to exceed 140-160 degrees for most paints, sometimes less, and no longer than an hour/hour and a half at-temperature. Some paint can tolerate more but the practicality is minimal. Alternate heating setups will require longer heating times accordingly. In my garage, due to what is available, I use the top of my kerosene heater which has a flat top. This is not however for any spraying or immediately fresh paint as there can be a fire/explosion hazard. A couple hours on that and it is good and hard. True time can harden paint, but it's so much nicer to boost it to hours isn't it:D

Architectdave
dentwizz - great info! Orange metal guy - I put all my parts after they flash on top of our oil burner next to the vent stack and they dry hard as nails in a few days. Its a great way to prevent toughening up fresh parts for assembly.

Lately I have been freeze drying partssm01 So far it hasn't worked that well. Won't be too long before the sun will do some of the baking and speed things up a little. I would love have an oven where I could really do this right or perhaps see what could be set up with a good auto body shop.