Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
tej

B&S engine ID

mowerman1193
MPH, This is a good question about how to figure the hp. of a Briggs.I am not sure it can be done without haveing it put on a dyno-meter.The first two digits of the serial# is the cubic in. of the motor but,the hp. of the motor can vari quite a bit from the cubic in.Here is a example below I took from Tulsa Engine Warehouse.Notice that the motors are both 20hp but look at the cubic in. 351700 20 Vanguard 351700 Model Series Displacement 34.75 cu. in.--Bore 2.83 in. Stroke 2.75 in.--Oil Capacity 48 fl. oz. & 56 fl. oz. w/filter 460700 20 I/C Diamond Plus 460700 Model Series Displacement 45.60 cu. in.--Bore 3.44 in. Stroke 2.46 in.--Oil Capacity 48 fl. oz. & 56 fl. oz. w/filter The compression,cam,carb,and valves sizes play a very big roll in the hp.The cubic in. is figured by the cylinder size and the piston stroke. Another example is to take a stock Chevy 350cu.in with a 2 barrel carb. it has probably about 180hp.Add a 4 barrel carb. and exaust headers and it now probably has 200hp. but still has the same cubic in.Bore the cylinders .30 over size and the cubic in. is now 355. Sorry so long just felt like rambling lol.Hope I didnt make the confusion worse. mowerman1193

MPH
mowerman, thanks, never thought of the fact the cu.in would be the same deal in these little motors as car size. though I prefered mopar 273 and340's spent a little time gear-heading has a younger man. judging from stroke I'd buy a vanguard over the diamond for tractor work. MPH

tej
I have a white B&S engine a friend of mine gave me. He said it is a 14hp engine off of a tractor but didn’t know what kind. The number on the engine is 320421 0141 01 7001061. Can anyone tell me what this engine is and what it came off of?

MPH
Dutch, good link to Briggs. About the same info as an old briggs book I have. Never have figured how many Cu-in for different H.P. Is 32 cu-in 14 horse or 12? my B112 has briggs 326431 on it. I been told its 12 and 14 horse by different Xperts in small engine shops. MPH

tej
When I acquired my B-12 in 1972 with a blown engine I went to my local Briggs dealer for parts. When I gave him the engine number he said the engine was off a 1967 AC B-12 garden tractor. I think he only got the year and AC off the engine number and assumed the rest. As for the engine in question, from the B&S web site I got the date of manufacture as 1/6/1970 but they didn't explain the type digits 0141-01.

tej
Mowerman, The motor I'm referring to is not on any tractor and I don't know what kind of tractor it came off of. Only clue is that it is painted white. I know that the Briggs numbers include the company that the engine was produced for because as I said when I gave the Briggs dealer the number off the engine on my B-12 he told me the engine came off an Allis-Chalmers. I don't know if this is included in the type or the code numbers.

mowerman1193
tej, I read somewhere that the type #'s are for the type of carb. and governor you have.I think I read it on the Briggs web site.Are you saying that you have a 1972 tractor with a 1970 motor?That is possible because it could have been made very late in 1970 and then sat on a shelve until it was installed on your tractor. mowerman1193

MPH
Link below will decode numbers. Maybe B&S records can tell who purchased engine originally. If link doesn't work - copy & paste this http://www.briggsandstratton.com/MainSite.asp?CategoryID=61&lrID=1&ParentID=7&MSCSSID=1234&MB=&EPAGE=/main/RealBriggs/WebSite/NA/EN/support_maintenance/number.mb&l=0[A href='http://www.test.com']http://www.test.com[/a]

mowerman1193
I guess I misunderstood your question.I dont know how they do that part.Perhaps its the last part of the model# because the first 2 are the cubic in. but not sure what the rest is for.Time for some research I guess.Think I will contact Briggs and see what I come up with. mowerman1193"in Michigan trying to figure those #'s out"

MPH
mowerman, accordinding to my briggs book, the 1st or 1st 2 #, depending on eng size are displacement, next # is basic design series.next indcate crank type and card type next is bearings and auxiliary drives,last is type of starter. I think that briggs link, by Dutch on this dis. has good details on it. MPH just went back to that link, code # gives date, with the last 2 # being Assy line or plant made at. the type # is pretty vaig, maybe some of these old briggs men with thier big manuals do get more out of the # system then is on the briggs site. I don't know, rather not think thier just full of it, but I have sure gotten some different replys.

mowerman1193
Well I emailed Briggs and I have pasted ther reply below The engine numbers do not specify which OEM purchases the engine. For an explanation of our numbering system, please visit our "Numerical Designation System" page: If you have a question on who purchased an engine, we do have a listing (ranging from about 1980-2000) that I can look up by model, type and code. Please reply back to this incident with the engine numbers in question if this is the case. This should clear up some of the questions that some of you have. mowerman1193