Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New member here, question about drive coupler

Norseman67

Hi, was checking the wealth of info on this site and was wondering if anyone could tell me if the driveshaft couplers from later model tractors would fit my simplicity 700 wonderboy. Tanks for any replies. Bill. P.S, also got a B-1 in the deal.

Bill, I'm assuming that you're refering to using the fiber disc drive shaft coupling in place of the steel/rubber coupler. The answer is yes they will work with one caveat, that is that you will have use some spacers to make the differance in thickness between the old and the "new" couplers. Also the fiber disc couplers has some special washers that were used so the disc's would not fatigue. Those washers were about an eigth of an inch in thickness and had rounded edge on side that went next to the coupler to alleviate fatigue cause by the clamping actionof the bolts and the flexing of the coupler. By the way welcome the club. The 700 series tractors are one of my favorites,and you got a b-1 to boot! Good luck with your new toys.

Thanks for the detailed reply Reed, now I will have to get to my local simplicity dealer and see if he can get them for me. I will also have to see if I can straighten the driveshaft as I found it has a pretty good bend in it! Bill.

Just so everybody is on the right track, the rubber/neopreme couplings are no longer available. So before you start shortening things up, you might want to think about it.

No one said anything about shortening the driveshaft, I said I had to straighten it, it was bent when the old coupler let go I guess.

quote:
Originally posted by BLT
Just so everybody is on the right track, the rubber/neopreme couplings are no longer available. So before you start shortening things up, you might want to think about it.
Forget this. I was thinking about some newer tractors.

You need to get the driveshaft running pretty straight before installing the fiberglass flexdisks. Otherwise they will probably tear themselves apart. I have the fiberglass flexdisks in my 61 Wards(Simp 700). I put them in over 20 years ago and haven't had any problems with them since. Make sure you loosen the yoke on the BGB so that it will slide on the shaft. Bolt everything up and shim the spacers with washers to make everything line up. After everything is bolted up, then tighten the set screw on the rear yoke. You do not want to put the disks in tension or compression.

You can straighten the drive shafts and in most cases you can get it straighter than it came from the factory. I have straightened a couple and checked a new one and the one I straightened was truer.

Thanks for all the responses, I went to the simplicity dealer this morning and bought 2 fiberglass drive discs and the special washers. I'll probably take the driveshaft to work tomorrow and press it straight. I noticed if you add the thickness of the fiber discs and the required washers, it's only about an eighth inch too thin which I can easily make up with spacers. Again Thanks for all the help. Bill.

I just use washers from the hardware store to stack up for short spacers. I have been using tubing for long spacers. I just make sure I have the same thickness on both bolts.