Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Muffler in the way of headlight

OrangeMetalGuy

OrangeMetalGuy
I have a 716H early model but with late model hood. I ordered two replacement headlight assemblies and test-fitted to the hood. The one on the right (facing the front of the tractor) fits fine, but the one one the left won't fit because the muffler is right there too close. Can I loosen the clamp on the muffler and swing it down a little to allow clearance? The replacement light sockets have the bulb at a 45 degree angle out the back, so if I swing the muffler maybe 2 inches it should be plenty of room. However, the exhaust won't be lined up with the hole on the side of the hood. Is the muffler different on the later style 700-series to clear the one headlight? Maybe I just need to change it out to the later style.

mufflers are over rated just strait pipe it. haha well I think they are. anyway if you can loosen the pipe and hard where and move to where you need it go for it. keep every thing loose untill your done trying to make all fit. you could try header tape to keep the heat down. but I would try to re plumb my hole exhaust. I mean custom make one that will fit correctly, on my 7010 before I made it in to a puller it never hit the hole in the hood anyways. that's my 0.02. good luck.

OrangeMetalGuy
The engine is definitely a K341 but you may be right about the muffler. Wondering if anyone has a late model 700-series and could post a corresponding pic of their tractor so I can see how it looked from the factory?

It has the later style muffler on it.The diameter is bigger around.I had the same-thing a while back.I think if you check it out you will come to the same conclusion.The early 3300,3400,7000 series tractors used a smaller around muffler.I hope this helps.Are you sure its a newer hood?I see the square headlights but they had the on some of you early 7000 series. nick

OrangeMetalGuy
Well, when I say 'newer' style hood, I mean the ones with the headlights inside the hood above the grille, as opposed to the early style with the four small headlights mounted in nacelles on the outside of the hood. I'm hoping someone with a late model 7 series can post a pic of theirs so I can see how the muffler is supposed to look. To add more confusion, this tractor was originally a 712 but had a K341 16HP engine installed. It had the old-style hood (4 lights on the sides) but when I bought it I had the previous owner put on the newer style hood which I prefer. So you are saying I just need to buy an early-700 series muffler? Otherwise I may go the vertical stack route! :D

The hood and lights should make no difference. I suspect you have the wrong elbow on the muffler. Aside from the somewhat rare 7018H, the 3400, 7000, and 700 Series AC's all used the same muffler part # 170456. This is the same for both Briggs and Kohler Engines. The only difference between the briggs and kohler's is what pipe elbow is used and even that is the same on the early and late ones. The 14 and 16hp kohlers also use a larger diameter exhaust elbow than the 10 and 12. The mufflers did not change until the 7100 Series when the hoods were enlargened. Here are some pics of the engine in my 1977 AC-710 (square lights), should show the muffler pretty well. I should note that the clamp closest to the engine isn't where it should be because I was in the process of removing the muffler.

All the 33-3400, 700 AC's and 7000 tractors with Briggs and Kohler engine have their exhausts angled down to the exhaust hole on LH lower side. The 718 AC has their's slightly different because of the overhead valve engine. You might try to loosen things up and reposition things for a little more headlight clearance.

OrangeMetalGuy
Chris727 thanks for the pics... this site is fantastic the way everybody jumps in to help a fellow enthusiast! Thx everybody else for the feedback too. Yeah I see what you're saying, looks like your whole muffler assembly is about an inch or so lower than mine, due to the way the elbow is piped. Do I have a prayer of separating the parts after 30+ years? I'll go the penetrating oil/light tapping route for a few days to let it seep in good. I don't mind replacing the whole thing if I need to but I don't want to break a fitting off in the block... that would ruin my day.