Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

First new tractor to me in 2009

SimpleTom

I just picked this up today. It was listed on Craigslist as a 62 Simplicity with bad engine. [url]http://racine.craigslist.org/grd/996776195.html[/url] He sent me a picture of it via email.

I called him this morning and went to look at it. I bought it and got an extra set of rear tires/wheels with it. He said it was a 725 but I think it is a 700 because of the steering wheel height from the hood. After getting it home I straightened out the rear fenders and hood, put on the correct size front tires, and painted the grill(the red paint bothered me). The engine is seized because he ran it low on oil. I think I might be able to save it. I sprayed some PB Blaster down the cylinder. I will let it soak a couple days then try turning it. Here is what it looks like now.

I knew it had a tiller drive but I was pleasantly suprized it had the low speed pulley and winterizing kit for the engine.

Here are the extra tires.

A group shot of this tractor with my other 700 and 725. You can see the different steering wheel height off the hood between the 700 and 725.

Tom

If its from 62 then I believe its a 725. The seller must have switched out the front rims right before you got it, the first pic has silver rims that look to be smaller 6 inch rims but all the other pics have what looks like rusty full size 8 inch rims. You could have your self a set of duals with that extra set of rear wheels and tiresdOd. Looks like its got plenty of other tractors to keep it company. Nice score^

Zach, I think the seller was just was told it is a 62. I need to check the engine to make sure of the year and HP. I installed the 8" wheels on the front. They just have some surface rust on them. He had Broadmoor wheels on it so I took them off. Tom

I just got the engine info. Model # 19 Type # 706029 Serial # 596297 Not sure but going by Maynard's post for Briggs and Stratton engine identification I come up with it being a 1959. [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28709[/url] Am I correct? If so then it's a 700 Wonderboy. Tom

IMO it's 700 due to the straight shifter and short steering shaft. If it has the original engine that might also give a clue ot it's age. The tiller pto is a nice bonus as is the winterizing kit and low speed pulley.:D

If the engine was siezed from overheat/lack of oil you should be focusing on the crankshaft/rod journal not on the piston. The rings at least on my experience are rarely affected. The aluminum casting of the rod on the other hand is eager to melt and gall onto the crankshaft. Unfortunately to really deal with it you will need to take the engine off the baseplate, but that's not too big a deal on the older ones. Just a thought

Some of the earlier 725's did have the short column and bushing type wheels, though I think all of the 725's had the later style gas tank, bent shifter, and a remote choke. Going by your engine data and the straight shifter I tend to agree that its probably a 700. Definitely a good find regardless of which model it is^

quote:
Originally posted by dentwizz
If the engine was siezed from overheat/lack of oil you should be focusing on the crankshaft/rod journal not on the piston. The rings at least on my experience are rarely affected. The aluminum casting of the rod on the other hand is eager to melt and gall onto the crankshaft. Unfortunately to really deal with it you will need to take the engine off the baseplate, but that's not too big a deal on the older ones. Just a thought
Just pulled the engine and dropped the baseplate. The rod and crankshaft are unharmed. I also popped off the head and the cylinder wal is fine also. I'm thinking maybe one of the bearings are shot. Going to tear into more tomorrow. Tom

quote:
welp....there goes the wife's parking spot!
No she still gets to keep her spot. I just took the B-1 out back. I don't think the weather will hurt the rusty finish on it anyway. :D
quote:
nice score, how much was it if you dont mind me asking
I paid $100 for everything. Tom

Tom, I think it may be a 725 even tho the steering wheel hieght is different because some of the early 725 had the 700 steering height. my 725 is a very early one and it has that short steering column.

Hope this helps. :D

Went to the commonly asked questions area and found a link to a page posted by Maynard listing early Briggs engine serial numbers. [url]http://www.asecc.com/data/briggs/data4.html#23D[/url] According to my serial number the engine was produced in March of 1959. Definately a Wonderboy 700. Tom